Front hip circle drills??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

slkbeambabe07

Hello! I have a gymnast who is very inconsistent on her front hip circles. :confused: Does any one out there have any drills or good strength for this? I'll take anything!! Thanks!!!

I don't have any drills, but I have some tips. One important tip is to keep looking and the high bar for as long as you can WITHOUT arching. When you feel yourself falling, pike fast around the bar and shift your hands. This always helps me! Hope this helps! :huge:

My favorite has always been the tuck around the bar. Hold hollow until parallel with the floor, then tuck and grab behind the knees.

In general, a good way to remind gymnasts how to hold their position is to tell them to "scrape their chin" on the floor. It's goofy, but it sometimes helps...

Ryan

The coaches at my DD's gym sometimes tie the girls to the bar with exercise bands to practice front hip circles. I'm not sure of the technique for tying, but the girls all love the drill.

A good drill to teach them how to fall is to get them between the Parallel bars. Have then face out from the inside the PB..starting in the straight (but chest in, butt tight, stomach in..and tall..so the bar is on the top of the thigh)..have them learn to fall to horizontal...in doing that the bar behind them stops them at the horizontal mark. Also encourage them to fall by lifting the legs without breaking the straight line (no arching).

This helps them get comfortable with hitting horizontal before piking into the front hip.. Kids often fall by dropping the shoulders and that pretty much kills the front hip.. Following a confident fall you can use the other drills to speed up the snap to pike...i personally like to just spot it..or if you can figure out how to tie them to the bar that also works.. However i don't like seeing bent arms..so i spot them more often.

Also remind them to look under the bar as they are finishing the front hip to encourage shoulders over the bar to get a good cast.. Overall that is all you really need to be honest..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back