front hip circle drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
i know there was a previous thread about this skill but it wasnt quite what i was looking for. i cant seem to get my girls to wrap themselves around the bar in the circle. they cant get the concept of fall till horizontal then nose to knees. are there and drills for this? or is it just practice them until they get it

When I was teaching these, I spotted them through slow-motion FHC. So they'd fall forward till they felt like they were falling off, I'd catch the candle, and then they'd sit up around the bar. It was a workout for all of us, but they had nice FHC.

We (meaning they) also did about a billion front pike rolls.

Best three drills I use are the straight arm drop from an elevated bar onto a soft mat, focusing on straight elbows and heels lifting as a lever (so, straight body). Chin should be raised up, so the gymnast lands on their torso, not their face.

Second, on the floor, use a mushroom (boy's horse accessory) or other mat elevated. Have the gymnast lay on the floor with their feet on the mushroom (not legs!) and "sit up" so their nose touches their knees.

Lastly, on the bar, have them push to a comfortable support, chin up, and you stand behind the bar. As they go forward, you hold their legs, and help them feel the support on their legs and staying straight. It will hurt a few times, sorry to say, but they will get used to it and begin to understand the support they need.

After that, it's just practice. I usually put a porta-pit under a bar, and after sufficient drilling, I let them have at it, and if I see something particularly out of place, I pull them and work on the individual piece that is broken. Usually, it's from losing pressure on the bar (bending arms too early), or not sufficiently "sitting up" (or, more realistically, keeping their legs to the bar while rotating).

Last edited:
To explain the first a bit better - I usually take two panel mats and a put them side by side. I put a floor bar on top of that (so the legs are on the mats, and the bar is slightly elevated). I then slide a cheese wedge under the whole thing, so it's less scary, and slow pull the wedge out so make sure they are reaching horizontal with the bar as their chest hits the mat. Please be careful to not use a bar that is already elevated on top of the panel mats.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back