Parents Front hip circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD 4 is soooo close to getting her FHS. We have a bar at home and she practices and practices and practices until I have to make her stop. She just can't quite get it yet. She just doesn't seem to get around enough. She ends in a chin-up position with the bar about upper chest level and she tries to pull herself up but then falls. Suggestions? Thoughts?

I know many of you have been there and watched your little ones struggle with skills so you understand. I know it will just happen one day. Her pullover was a just recently acquired skill and it was quite ugly. Now a week later she looks like she's been doing them her whole life.

The hardest part is wanting to help her because she's frustrated and asking me to help her, but having no clue what to tell her!

The funniest part to me is that she's had a bar for quite awhile, but she never practices. It was taken apart and in the garage. I really can't remember the last time she ever asked me to get it out. I can't leave it out because we don't have the room. On Thursday one of her friends got her FHS and then DD came straight home and asked me to put her bar up and hasn't stopped practicing since. It's strange for me to see my 4 year old being competitive. I didn't really think she had thoughts like that at this young age.

It may just be her age. 4yos is very young to be doing a fhc. She may be lacking strength and coordination just due to age. The main thing I can remember my gymmie being told about doing a fhc correctly was to push up on the bar so the middle of her thighs were against the low bar before doing the skill. The fhc is a pretty tricky little skill----looks easier than it really is. My gymmie got her kip before the fhc.

You might want to encourage her to practice the skills she knows for now(if she wants the bar out)---like that great pullover

That fhc was a tricky skill for ladybug and that darn single leg shoot ~ that you will never ever see them do again lol. I do remember the high thigh on bar that gym law mom mentioned as well as nose to knees.

She does already push up where the bar is on her thighs so I think she has that part down. Luckily she seems to have gotten over her frustration and hasn't practiced anymore or asked me to put the bar up. I know she has 2 years before she'll be old enough to compete level 4 so there's no hurry. She's also at a gym with pretty crummy level 4's so it's not like they will require her to have the skill before being moved up. The current level 4's compete for the first time in 2 weeks and they really can't do the bar routine at all. Not a single one can do a mill circle and their front hip circles are pretty scary.

I just started a new job that requires me to get up really early so she had to get up super early too starting on Monday. So on Tuesday she was so tired and she had a quite dismal practice. Mostly when she's tired she acts crazy and I do mean crazy :eek:. I think she's been too tired to care. We've both been crashing really early. It's going to take some time to adjust to the new hours. I am not a morning person.

Good for her for trying so hard! That FHC is very tricky. Mine did what you are describing for the longest time. It is a timing thing. Mine still doesn't have it figured out as she never has gotten it with straight arms. LOL. Her kips have straighter arms than her FHC. :) Hope you guys adjust to your new schedule soon!

Our 10 yo is pretty weak on her bars. I agree that the FHC is the hardest skill as a L4. It took her 2+ years to get it to complete all her L4 requirements. She finally got it during her first meet this past season. There was some crazy moments at the meet with dancing, cheering, yelling and jumping between the coaches, her parents and other parents on the same team. We all knew how hard and for how long she worked on that skill. The judges were wondering what was going on.

The next skill after pullover is generally back hip circle, not front. I would encourage her to practice that next.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back