front or back walk over?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nichole

Gymnast
So I am now able to do a back bend and kickover using platforms but not on the floor yet.
Between the front or back walkover which one were you able to get first? I know it is different for everyone but which one is typically easier accomplish first?
I am planning on succeeding my kickover on the floor first before I get into the walkover but I feel like in about 2 weeks I should be able to do it on the floor.

It seems like this board has more lurkers than posters... :(

I was able to get my back walkover first, but I tried to get it long before I tried a front walkover, which might be the reason why.

A back walkover is easier, I think. The motion of standing up while pushing your hips forward in a FWO (or a bridge stand up) is difficult to learn. BWOs can be a little bit scarier, though, since it's often one of the first backwards moving skills you will learn.

By the way, you will get more responses if you post in the Women's Artistic Gymnastics section, versus the Gymnast section.

Almost universally our kids learn back walkovers before front walkovers.

Congrats on getting your kickover off of a raised surface! That was a major milestone in my seemingly endless battle to learn kicking over. I ironically learned my front walkover before my backwalkover! I was afraid to bend backwards on one foot so I refused to do them for a long time :rolleyes:

Honestly, I feel it is harder to learn either without learning to stand up from a back bend first. And once you do get that, I feel the front walkover is a bit less scary, seeing as it is forward (obviously). I hope you get your kick over!

I got my BWO first, and they seem to be easier because you can shift your weight over your hands, which makes getting over easier

Definitely the bwo. Front walk overs are difficult because of the standing up part at the end which is strength and flexibility...

I was able to get my back walkover first, but I tried to get it long before I tried a front walkover, which might be the reason why.
Same as this post I got my back walkover first but I worked on it first. I still don't have a good front walkover on either leg and can currently do both leg back walkovers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back