Front Tuck and Ariel Cartwheel!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I have started to practice a front tuck and Ariel Cartwheel for floor.
My coach said for the ariel, im either just doing a cartwheel off the elevated mat, or propelling myself into a 'side semi' ( i dont have a clue what that is.)
My coach said for the front tuck i dont have proper technique, she didnt elaborate on it, but she said i wasn't going/reaching high enough nor was i tucking and that i had a habit of turning my head to look in the mirror. She doesnt really help me with them because i wont need either skills till im a higher level. ( i'm a level three, going four) She just gives me something to work on in my free time while the others practice front handsprings during floor practice.
Any ideas how to fix these? i know its hard without a video, but bare with me!

The only general advice I have is:

Aerial: (I GET DUNNO'S SPELLING GOLD STAR :D )

1. Lunge deeply on the front leg, push off hard once you commit to the skill

2. The back leg should do a very tight, fast, aggressive needle kick. When I used to practice these my coach told me my back leg should be vertical before my first is even done pushing off the floor. It was to illustrate how fast and aggressive to be with that leg, considering how little time it takes to push off the lunge leg.

Front Tuck:

1. At my gym we teach the tuck position on the floor like this: Lay down on your back, arms overhead. Count to 3, and snap to a tuck. The position we look for is knees tucked hard enough to lift hips slightly, hands on knees (not shins!), and chin tucked.

2. If your jumps are junk, your tuck will be junk! Jump straight up, tight core, squeezed bottom, point your feet. I was taught to do these arms straight up, by the ears. When you actually do the tuck, do it at the highest point in your jump. A lot of people wait until they're practically on the ground again. Don't lean forward from the hips to initiate the tuck, it just throws your upper body forward and down. Think up up up!

That's all I got!

For the front tuck, simple tips for a L3:

- Don't look at the floor, look straight in front of you or find something to look at.

- The arms in the front tuck throw is like throwing a soccer ball in from OutOfBounds. Hands bent at elbows behind head, throw forward so they end up above head.

- Jump up as high as possible and stretch out. Throw heels over head and get into a ball like a situp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back