WAG Front Tuck Dismount on the side of the beam vs Gainor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I need a dismount on beam for some of my girls who will soon be L7s.

Most do the regular CW BT. Round-Offs not quiet there yet.

I have two girls who just don't get it, they always fall on their cartwheel.
We thought about maybe aerial of FH at the end of the beam.

But there is one thing I would like better: Either a gainer on the side of the beam or a front tuck to the side of the beam. Both are good tuckers.

Gainer: Musn't be a Layout of course, totally fine with tuck and pike

Front Tuck: It's at the end of Olgas Routine of course. Is this still a possible Dismount or is a FT only allowed at the end?

What is supposed to be harder? Both are an A in the code, but that doesn't say a lot IMO. And what do judges like to see better?

I have no idea, but 2 things stand out to me in Olga's routine. First about the dismount, she holds onto the beam. Can you do that now? Every landing would be stuck if you could hold the beam like that! And second, how incredibly easy that routine was, comparatively speaking of course to today's world championship level routines. She was beautifully graceful though!

We have a L7 that does a gainer off the side. I have never seen a L7 do a FT off to the side though. Seems like that would be more difficult.

Just wondering, why not a regular FT or FP off the end if you're considering a FT? Of the gainer and FT off the side, I'd say go with the gainer. It is more progressive than the FT off the side. I may be wrong, but other than a FP or maybe a FLO (though I have trouble seeing this), I don't think there's much else you could add in the future.

Just wondering, why not a regular FT or FP off the end if you're considering a FT? Of the gainer and FT off the side, I'd say go with the gainer. It is more progressive than the FT off the side. I may be wrong, but other than a FP or maybe a FLO (though I have trouble seeing this), I don't think there's much else you could add in the future.

Thanks for your help. One of the girls wanted it to look like the one of Olga, she is doing her BHS and then straight into a front somersault. And I have to say I think it also looks cooler than on the end.

Is a gainer hard? I have neither taught them nor did them when I competed and I was a L9 about 100 years ago haha.

Can I just let them try into the pit and then move it to beam? Or are they harder than the look? Bc I think they look pretty easy

Thanks for your help. One of the girls wanted it to look like the one of Olga, she is doing her BHS and then straight into a front somersault. And I have to say I think it also looks cooler than on the end.

Is a gainer hard? I have neither taught them nor did them when I competed and I was a L9 about 100 years ago haha.

Can I just let them try into the pit and then move it to beam? Or are they harder than the look? Bc I think they look pretty easy
No problem! I think the difficulty of a gainer really depends on the gymnast. I'm a thinker & they freaked me out, so it wasn't a skill for me. But we have a couple of girls who can do them. One picked it up very quickly & the other took a little longer. Generally, I don't think it's a very difficult skill to get.
Yes start them doing it into the pit. To transition to the beam, you could start by stacking mats next to a beam so that they're above the height of the beam (just leave a little space for the leg swing). A low-ish beam will work fine & make mat stacking easier. Have the gymnast swing & jump as if they're going to do a gainer but land on their bottoms/lower backs & backward roll out of it. You can gradually make the mats higher to get them going up more. Really emphasize keeping the legs together after the swing. One thing I've noticed based on the few I've seen working the skill is that probably the hardest part is keeping the legs from crossing or being uneven in the tuck/pike after the swing.

you know what? you should know these things if you are a coach and you were formerly a "L9 about 100 years ago". time to pack your bags..............

My daughter did a gainer dismount off beam as an L6 last year and it always scored great. She was literally the only one we saw do it in every meet of the season and all of the people watching always thought it looked so cool and unique.

BUT...if you do not know how to teach it, DO NOT WORK YOUR GIRLS ON IT. Good Lord, if this was one of my daughter's coaches posting this, I would be gym-shopping in a heartbeat.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back