Coaches Front Tuck vs. Punch Front?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Depends on the context I guess as front tuck could be used interchangeably with punch front. Usually if people say punch front they just mean from another preceding skill but the rule doesn't always hold (mostly it's a punch from another salto I guess). I would say 1.5 punch front but front handspring front tuck.

Depends on the context I guess as front tuck could be used interchangeably with punch front. Usually if people say punch front they just mean from another preceding skill but the rule doesn't always hold (mostly it's a punch from another salto I guess). I would say 1.5 punch front but front handspring front tuck.

Sorry but I didn't understand that at all. :confused:

Gymdog means they are basically the same thing, just different words! Sometimes people say punch front for a tuck they are doing after another skill ie fhs followed by a punch front.

I've always just called them a front tuck, either standing or not.

Is that better?

I think so. My 6-year-old DD explained it to me that the punch front is done from a run while a front tuck is done either standing or following another skill, like a FHS-front tuck. Is that close?

I actually kind of go by the opposite but I feel like it's sort of colloquial. I've heard people say FHS punch front but I don't say that. I say FHS front tuck and so do most people I know. Some people call the front tuck in level 6 a punch front, I'd call it a front tuck most of the time, but depending on the context, I might use "punch front" to describe something similar. It's a subtle nuance thing for me. Each individual thing just has a name. I would virtually never say, for example, 2 1/2 or 1 1/2 front tuck, it sounds weird to me. I say 1 1/2 punch front, front layout punch front/pike. If I was trying to describe two front layouts it'd be more like lay lay most likely, but a front layout following a back twist would be 1/2, 1 1/2, 2 1/2 punch layout. Basically I feel like there's no hard and fast rule but some descriptions are generally used more by people. I run a gymnastics club with various levels of experience and sometimes I catch myself laughing when people use the "full" name for something because it sounds ridiculously formal to me when spoken, I can't help it.

A front tuck is usually just running and doing a front tuck. A punch front is a front tuck out of another bounding skill like front layout punch front or twisting front tuck.

All in all, they can be used interchangeably in regard to front tuck also meaning punch front--depending on the context as others have stated. Most skills in gymnastics have multiple names: backhandspring/flip flop/back hand/flic flac, clear hip/free hip, backbend/bridge, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back