Coaches Front tumbling: handspring or punch?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
For front tumbling passes, do you prefer to have gymnasts start with a front handspring or punch straight into the first salto of the pass?

I've seen it done both ways by many gymnasts. It seems to me the punch is easier to do correctly, while the handspring, if done right, provides more power if done correctly. I can think of very few skills I've seen from a handspring that I haven't seen from a punch, and vice-versa.

Thoughts?

I'm also asking this for my own purposes; for the last three years or so, I've done all front passes out of a punch. Double front, doublefull, full punch 1-and-3, etc. However, I'm trying to learn a double pike and possibly a front full-in. Should I work these from a punch or from a handspring? Or should I try them from a front layout, like Diego Hypolito?

Last edited:
I train my gymnasts both ways. Some skills are easier for some than others out of a handspring. Some prefer just a punch. For the most part, we begin from a punch and work up to a skill coming out of a front handspring. I think skills look better out of the handspring.

Just my opinion...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back