Parents Front walkover on beam!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

DD has said several times lately, and I quote, "I'm having so much fun at gym right now Mom, I'm so glad I didn't quit" (we had quite the quitting dilemma last Spring & early this Summmer).

She says part of the reason she feels happier now, is that she has all of her skills for Competing L6, (1st meet in 2 weeks!), so I guess the pressure of getting that BWO on beam a few months ago was truly bugging her. Thank God that she got it!

Last night--! brag alert! --she did a front walkover on the high beam, and a few of the Optional girls came over & complimented her on it. She's ecstatic.

Just curious what level skill that is. Could she put it into her Prep-Op routine this Winter :) ?

Congrats on the front walk over! I've no idea what level that is but it's awesome!

How wonderful for your dd, sometimes just sticking it out through that boring period is so well worth it for the gymmies... glad that she stuck through it, and is doing so great!

Really looking forward to hearing how your dd does this season :)

:applause:& an GREAT BIG congrats on the fwo on beam!:applause:

Great job! My girls would also be excited if the "big girls" came over and saw it LOL. I am glad she's having fun (and didn't quit!):)

A front walkover is "B" skill - and a rather uncommon one. Forward skills have what is called "blind landings" - meaning you cannot see where your foot is going to land. Which is why a front walkover is valued higher than a back walkover.

This is an excellent skill to include in a Prep Op routine, or any Level optional routine for that matter, as backward tumbling is very common on beam. Forward tumbling on beam is a very desirable addition to the composition of any optional routine!

A front walkover is "B" skill - and a rather uncommon one. Forward skills have what is called "blind landings" - meaning you cannot see where your foot is going to land. Which is why a front walkover is valued higher than a back walkover.

This is an excellent skill to include in a Prep Op routine, or any Level optional routine for that matter, as backward tumbling is very common on beam. Forward tumbling on beam is a very desirable addition to the composition of any optional routine!
Thank you! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a skill that would 'nullify' the routine, or whatever. Guess she'll have a chance to put it in a beam routine when she starts Prep Op in January!

Different Regions - and sometimes different states within that Region have different rules for Prep-Op. And in our state, there are 4 different Levels of Preps. So I cannot say for sure if a front walkover would VOID a Prep routine in your state or Region, similiar to the way certain skills can VOID a Level 7 or 8 optional exercise. You would need to check with the coach on that.

Regardless of the Prep rules in your state, I still say a front walkover on beam is awesome, and should be a welcome addition to any future optional exercise!

Yay for your DD! So glad she is back in love with gym and congrats to her on the FWO on beam!

the L8 at our gym is working on FWO FWO on beam so she won't "be like everyone else" So guess who now feels they must get their FWO on beam? Yup, DD - L3 !! She has actually done several w/ a spot and is getting her foot on the beam, still needs help pulling herself up - she just mastered them pretty well on floor so that should improve as well.

Different Regions - and sometimes different states within that Region have different rules for Prep-Op. And in our state, there are 4 different Levels of Preps. So I cannot say for sure if a front walkover would VOID a Prep routine in your state or Region, similiar to the way certain skills can VOID a Level 7 or 8 optional exercise. You would need to check with the coach on that.

Regardless of the Prep rules in your state, I still say a front walkover on beam is awesome, and should be a welcome addition to any future optional exercise!
I will definitely have her ask her coaches about it when the time comes-thanks!

the L8 at our gym is working on FWO FWO on beam so she won't "be like everyone else" So guess who now feels they must get their FWO on beam? Yup, DD - L3 !! She has actually done several w/ a spot and is getting her foot on the beam, still needs help pulling herself up - she just mastered them pretty well on floor so that should improve as well.
Good for her! And L3, that's amazing!

I love how fwo looks on beam. And it is definitely something different. I'm so glad to hear she is loving gym again and getting fun new skills :D Quite the roller coaster ride sometimes with this age though :cool:

I love how fwo looks on beam. And it is definitely something different. I'm so glad to hear she is loving gym again and getting fun new skills :D Quite the roller coaster ride sometimes with this age though :cool:
You are so right. Who knows what woes I will be posting about next week...until then, I will enjoy the happy, well-adjusted side of my dd while it lasts!

You are so right. Who knows what woes I will be posting about next week...until then, I will enjoy the happy, well-adjusted side of my dd while it lasts!

Too bad we all don't live closer to each other - I think after some of the drama these girls put us through we deserve to go out for a drink !!!!

Wow! That is awesome! Congrats to your dd and so glad she is enjoying life in the gym again!

Kelly

Too bad we all don't live closer to each other - I think after some of the drama these girls put us through we deserve to go out for a drink !!!!
Too true, too true! Ah well, we will just have to settle for virtual cocktails for now, as gymmomntc suggests!

Congrats to your dd!The skills that taken the longest to master are the most rewarding.I am sure she feels a great relief now that the pressure is gone.Good Luck at her meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back