Front walkovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm the only person in my class that can do a front walkover to begin with. The only problem I have is when I take it to the beam. I start well and tight keeping my split wide and long, but as i'm landing when start pulling through my abs my foot almost comes along and slips. Sometimes I even fall on my butt:eek:. I can almost tell my back is arched too much to complete the walkover as im lying on my back on the beam.

Any tips?
And has this ever happend to any of you?

You are missing a crucial step in learning a front walkover.

If tou have a hard time with a front limber, then your problem is a lack of "reverse-levering action" out of the front walkover.

In a good front limber, as the gymnast passes through the handstand, her shoulders pass over her hands (direction opposite the way she is moving) and then move forward over the feet with the rest of the body. After the shoulders extend and the feet are lowered to the floor, the body should should rotate upright sequentially (i.e. feet, knees, hips, torso, shoulders, arms/head, hands). If any body part moves forward out of order, the body begins to fall back where it came from...and it sounds like that is your problem. You can probably get away with it on the floor, but the problem is magnified when you are trying to land on one foot on a 4" hard surface.

You may just practice standing on you landing foot with your dominant foot balanced on a block. Reach back to a one-legged bridge and then stand back up to a controlled stand where you started. If this is difficult for you, you know what the trouble is.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back