Front Walkovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm a baton twirler for my high school (I perform as the feature twirler of my school's marching band during halftime shows at football games). Next year I hope to do basic tumbling/gymnastics on the turf during the performances. I can do really easy, basic tricks like cartwheels, front walkovers, and backbends and kickovers. I have a decent front walkover where I can stand up on one leg and it's somewhat controlled.
1) How do you do 3 front walkovers in a row? I can do 2 but I start to get dizzy and the second one is definitely nowhere as good as the first.
2) How do you keep your legs straight and feet pointed the WHOLE TIME during the walkover? I feel like my legs are always somewhat bent especially my right leg (I'm a righty so I land on my left leg in the walkover with my right leg up).
3) By any chance, does anyone know any shoes that have bottoms that aren't as slippery when tumbling on turf? I'm afraid I might slip if I do a front walkover in my jazz shoes because my foot doesn't land very close to my hands because my back isn't the most flexible.
4) Does anyone have any good hip flexor and shoulder flexibility stretches? and upper back? I want to make sure that I'm stretching those as often as possible because I heard they're really important. My coach said so too.

Thank you!

I have limited knowledge on front walkers, most of what I am going to say comes either from tick tocks, fwo on beam or fhs so. If I say anything contrary to what your coach says, listen to the coach...

1) How do you do 3 front walkovers in a row? I can do 2 but I start to get dizzy and the second one is definitely nowhere as good as the first.
Make sure you aren't doing them directly after each other. Before you go into the second one, look for a point in front of you (which you looked at before the first fwo as well)

2) How do you keep your legs straight and feet pointed the WHOLE TIME during the walkover? I feel like my legs are always somewhat bent especially my right leg (I'm a righty so I land on my left leg in the walkover with my right leg up).
Squeeze

3) By any chance, does anyone know any shoes that have bottoms that aren't as slippery when tumbling on turf? I'm afraid I might slip if I do a front walkover in my jazz shoes because my foot doesn't land very close to my hands because my back isn't the most flexible.

Are you allowed to wear other shoes? I would check with your school before you purchase anything.

4) Does anyone have any good hip flexor and shoulder flexibility stretches? and upper back? I want to make sure that I'm stretching those as often as possible because I heard they're really important. My coach said so too.

Bridges with feet raised, assisted shoulder stretches (let someone press one hand against your shoulder blade, then with the other hand they pull back on your upper arm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back