WAG Frustrated University of the People

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't normally post, so if this is an inappropriate place to post this please let me know. I just saw an add for Simone Biles, promoting the University of the People. Evidently she and her mom are attending this university. I know Simone is surrounded by smart, intelligent people, but advertising this school was not one of those smart decisions.

A little background, while I am a coach, my full time job is to evaluate college transcripts. I've been doing this for over 15 years. I researched the accreditation to this "school", and it is not regionally accredited. What does that mean, it means that if she wanted to try and transfer any of her credit, most normal schools won't touch it. She would have wasted her time.

I was tempted to email her mom at their gym letting her know this information. I don't feel that advertising this school to young children will benefit anyone but the so called school. I can't tell you how many times I've turned away transfer credit and have the students all upset. They had no idea what the accreditation was, and what it can and can't be used for in the future. This school says its tuition free, and if thats true great, but they are still wasting time.

It's tuition free but even Simone admitted its not totally free, there are fees and there is a scholarship in her name. I agree it's not my favorite endorsement.

Yeah, I just don’t get it. For the cost of the fees you’re better off at a low cost community college then state school. If you want a free education and aren’t worried about accreditation, there is EdX and the likes out there distributing knowledge free of charge, with instruction from top colleges and universities. It’s weird to have her endorsing what seems to be a bit scam-ish. I don’t really have any anger at it though, just confusion.

It’s not like she needs a degree so she can get a job and support herself. Really matters not if it’s accredited. For her anyway.

I think it's concerning to some degree because of the blindness with which some people will follow her advice. I'm glad she's found a way to get academic growth - one of the things I worry about most in this sport is the number of girls who have set aside any significant level of education for gymnastics. Hopefully this is a positive option to blend both desires.

blindness with which some people will follow her advice.
Unfortunately this is a problem that only life experience will fix.

This is why I do not like the idea of athletes as role models for anything aside how they approach athletics. Making education choices based on what an athlete endorses makes as much sense as voting for whoever your favorite actor endorses. In other words, it makes zero sense.

Everyone has to learn to be a discerning consumer. In a world where athletes make a great deal of money from endorsements, it is important to remember they are not likely to be motivated to dig all that deeply into how well whatever they are endorsing actually works- At best, they will look at the good- particularly if they personally find the product good or helpful- but ignore problems on a wider scale. Of course I think it is a good idea to try to alert Biles to the problems with accreditation. Just not sure it is likely to do any good.

All that said, a quick perusal of the website indicates the school is partnered with "real world" universities, including UC Berkeley. That would indicate a tacit endorsement by a respected University I would be far more concerned is truly misleading.

Since you know about the ins and outs of accreditation, and I agree it is misleading to claim one kind of accreditation (as the school website repeatedly does) if in fact credits are not going to transfer to other institutions, maybe you can post on review forums to alert potential students?

Since you know about the ins and outs of accreditation, and I agree it is misleading to claim one kind of accreditation (as the school website repeatedly does) if in fact credits are not going to transfer to other institutions, maybe you can post on review forums to alert potential students?

I don't have much knowledge about accreditation beyond what my child needed to know for graduation. Perhaps you meant someone else?

^ Yes I was suggesting that for op, not you. Sorry for confusion! Posting while kids are driving one up the wall, never a good choice.

I meant it as a complement... if that is any consolation! I always thought accredited meant accredited and did not realize there are different kinds.

Why would parents make an education decision nosed on Simone Biles say so.....

Not me....

A Leo maybe, a mat, a gym, a workout program. Possibly.

Education umm not a chance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back