Frustrated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay this is my first year level 7 and i'm 15. I've been doing gymnastics for 9 years and this is my 6th year of team. These past few months have been hard, getting injurys and my body in general just really hurts. And nothing seems to be getting better, i've taken days off of tumbling so that I can let my wrists rest and my back. But they still hurt just as bad or worse the next day. I've lost alot of skills because I haven't been able to do them because my body hurts so much. I still love gymnastics but I don't know if im just getting to old for it or if my body just can't handle it anymore. I don't know what to do..

I totally hear you. My DD is 13 and I think she has struggled like you with injuries. Since she was 9 she has had at least three months a year off from vault/tumbling as her knees, ankles, wrists, hips or back were too sore. We make her stop, do physio and start all over again. She loves gym so much and doesn't want to stop, so that is what drives her. I do find it very hard, I feel so sorry for her, but she has learned to persevere through it all and is a tough cooke because of it.

She is not where she would've been, she was the little one in the gym with masses of potential, other girls have passed her by as they have not had to take months off training. That has been very hard for her to accept.

I think it all depends on how much you want to do gym. Mine has gone down in training hours and competes at a level that is below her skill level as her body just cannot take the strain of higher level skills. Giants hurt her hands, BWO's are agony so she never does those anymore.

Perhaps in the USAG system it is harder though as there is less flexibilty with routines, even in L7 certain skills are required. Here in Canada she can play with her skills and avoid the ones that are no longer possible.

I suppose if you want to do gym more than you want to stop , then there is your answer. Have you considered other sports, that are less harsh on your body?

How many hours a week do you practice? Can you cut down on your hours? Would you consider doing a "less competitive" program like prep-op? You may need a day or two off between practices to let your body recover fully. If you have a hard time finding things to do with your extra time--which can be a legitimate concern for some people--maybe you could see if the gym will let you teach or help with some rec classes. That's also a possibility for you to consider if you do decide to give up gymnastics.

Good luck!

Yeahh it's hard, but i've just worked so har for so many years that I would hate to quit right when im a level 7. I still want to do gymnastics, I just don't know if I can if my body can still do it. I think that quitting would be way to hard for my to do.

Well my gym isn't a very big gym so we don't have programs like pre op, and they don't allow us to just come it for a certin amount of hours. It's either you come in all the hours everyday or you don't do team.

yes i know what you mean. i grew out of it tho. but i found it helpful (lets say) 1ce every 2 or 3 weeks to take an ibuprofen and have a really productive practice. and im not quite sure why everyone asumes prep op is an option because my whole state doesnt do prep op.

Last edited:
I would just take it easy. I know when you push your body too hard for too long, your body lets you know its limits and that's when its too late. Just remember, you won't be doing competitive gymnastics all your life, but you need your body after you're done with gymnastics. I was a high school gymnast and now that i'm in college without gymnastics, i can't even walk or sit or stand for more than 10 minutes without pain.

Gymnastics is addicting but once you're at that point where your body is setting limits, you have to take it easy and know that if you push yourself too much, you will pay for it later on.

I wish you the best of luck and take care of your body! It's something i wish i could have done before it got really bad :p

First--have you checked with your doctor to make sure nothing is really wrong? Many of our team gymnasts find out they had a fracture when they've gone weeks thinking they were just really sore.

Second--any chance you've done some growing lately? I think that having your body change means it reacts different when you do a skill--possibly making things sore.

And third--what are you doing other than resting? Ice things to help. Take some ibuprofen. And talk to your coaches--maybe they can see something you're doing that's making things hurt more?

Totally agree with Cathiann. If you have constant aches and pain especially in 1 or 2 specific areas of the body, you need to see a doctor and make sure there is not anything seriously wrong. Also a good overall physical exam is always a smart idea for a teen in competitive sports. Your doctor may have some suggestions or refer you to a physical therapist that can give you some exercises to do.

You have to look at all aspects of your life. How healthy is your diet? Are you hydrating enough when in the gym and on off time? How much sleep are you getting a night?

Get a professional medical opinion and then you may have alot more ideas on how to keep yourself from hurting.

Well i've been trying to get my mom to take me to the doctor but that is almost impossiable. And I haven't grown for like a year and a half. Im pretty sure im done growing. And after gym I always ice my wrist and put icy hott patches on my back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back