Parents Frustrated...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Peachy88

Proud Parent
I am still frustrated about finding a suitable gym for my daughter. We tried a preteam class at another gym to see if she could find some girls she connected with and immediately she bonded with another 5 year old. Well, the coach came up to me after and said that she suggested she move to a jr/sr class (this was a T&T gym) to work up her tramp skills because she was so advanced. I just want my daughter to have friends in her class and I don't care if the other girls are still working on rolls. Can't she just do a different tumbling pass than them? The coach was really hesitant. No one in the class can do a ROBH yet. She can connect multiple robhbhbh on floor and robhbt on tumblr track.

Her current situation has her with 8-10 year olds and she's 5. They all chat and have their phones out and are showing videos and she's just not there. She comes over with me during their breaks and is ready to go back in the gym, but just waits with me. The coach also clearly has favorites and it is not my gymnast. She knows the other girls from her day job as a teacher and knows their parents. I get it, of course she is going to favor them on the inside, but be fair on the outside and notice that you have a talented little one in the mix that may need different coaching. I have been coaching myself some (the boys class and team) and would love to have more talent and work ethic in my class.

She is training Level 3, but I am not completely sold on where she will end up. I am just looking for an environment for her to thrive in as an athlete. She doesn't know what JO, Xcel, or any of it means. We were trying T&T just to show her what it was. And yes, I do some coaching there just when needed or as an assistant.

I just want my daughter to have friends in her class and I don't care if the other girls are still working on rolls. Can't she just do a different tumbling pass than them? The coach was really hesitant. No one in the class can do a ROBH yet. She can connect multiple robhbhbh on floor and robhbt on tumblr track.

Her current situation has her with 8-10 year olds and she's 5. They all chat and have their phones out and are showing videos and she's just not there. She comes over with me during their breaks and is ready to go back in the gym, but just waits with me. The coach also clearly has favorites and it is not my gymnast. She knows the other girls from her day job as a teacher and knows their parents. I get it, of course she is going to favor them on the inside, but be fair on the outside and notice that you have a talented little one in the mix that may need different coaching. I have been coaching myself some (the boys class and team) and would love to have more talent and work ethic in my class.

If you are a coach, you should know the answer to this...it's one thing to teach and spot beginners; another thing to teach and spot kids with more advanced skills. The person teaching the class may not be able to safely train a more advanced kid. Plus, it messes up efficiencies in teaching such as when they go around in a circuit with the teacher spotting on one skill. The reality is that most teams have kids of varying ages in a level. I had the opposite problem for awhile in that my DD was the oldest in her group for many years. It was a big deal when she was in middle school and her teammates were in 2nd & 3rd grade. But now it's not a big deal at all and my DD is no longer the oldest. With your DD's age and skill level she may stand out for a few years and that is something to take into consideration as you consider what path you take.

If you are looking for another activity where she can bond with her peers, choose a sport or activity completely separate from gymnastics. That way she can learn right along with the other kids. Her showing off her skills that are a few levels ahead will not end up being a "bonding" experience.

May I gently suggest discouraging the back tucks at trampoline parks for now. Better not to pick up bad habits.

I can't quite tell what the issue is at your current gym. Is it the age difference between your daughter and the other girls who are training to compete L3 next season? Your dislike of the coach because you perceive favoritism? Or your belief that all the other girls in your daughter's group lack her talent and work ethic?

Maybe it's just your area, but my area has mostly 5 and 6 year olds on level 2 or preteam if they dont compete level 2. And the level 3's are 6, 7 and 8. And this is at multiple gyms. Keep looking. I actually haven't seen too many gyms with their level 3's being 8-10 yrs old.

It is my area. No great gymnastics programs. Our gym only trains four hours a week for level three and the preteam together. There is one gym with a more traditional model but they are generally grumpy and sarcastic with the kids so not for us.

It is my area. No great gymnastics programs. Our gym only trains four hours a week for level three and the preteam together. There is one gym with a more traditional model but they are generally grumpy and sarcastic with the kids so not for us.
Have you looked into cheerleading? Since she likes to tumble, maybe cheering would be a good avenue for her. Especially because you want her sport to be a bonding time. Gymnastics doesn't always allow time for bonding since it's mostly an individual sport with a team component.

She is very very young to be doing those skills. I agree with looking into cheerleading If you are just looking at tumbling and wanting to be in a social surrounding. I would be extremely careful if continue with wag or tumble and tramp with those higher skills at her age as she seems to be chucking them. ( or at least in the video ) you need to make sure she has the strength in her core, upper body and flex as she get older as with her age she is very flexible naturally and able to throw these skills, make sure to take care of her back especially as too many backflips are her age aren’t necessarily a good thing for when she gets older

My daughter just turned 6 and is also with 8-10 year olds. She gets along great with them and they are her “team.” Are they besties who have sleepovers? No, but they are really great friends at the gym. You mentioned that this was a relatively new program she is trying. I think you need to give it time. It takes time to build friendships/relationships. Maybe the “favoritism” you are seeing from the coach is really more familiarity with the other girls and not actually favoritism over your dd.

You may also want to discourage her from spending break time with you and have her stay with her group. Leaving during their social time may also be holding her back from bonding with her new teammates.

Bonding with kids and coaches takes time. You can’t go somewhere for a few weeks and expect instant bonds. That’s not how it works.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back