Parents Frustration abounds - crazy gym moms and DD had a rough meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wow, I am sorry about that. I had to put a song over my son's state meet video because of crazy gym moms, fortunately for me, it wasn't my team, it was complaining about my son's team. lol. Guess they didn't realize who we were rooting for. Anyway, like others said, I would just move away. One crazy mom on our team doesn't sit by us when we have my five year old along. Can you do that? :) Just keep doeing what you're doing, and try to ignore the crazies!

But I have a hard time listening to them complain about the "weak gymnasts" on the team, and chatter incessantly about D1 scholarships.

Uh, our kids are in 2nd and 3rd grade.

I recall when my dd was 5 and another girl was 6, her mother was saying she would never let her daughter quit gymnastics because this was going to pay for her college. My thought, first of all, if you quit and put all the money away, you can pay for college. Second, you can always go for an academic scholarship. Just saying. Who knows what the future is going to bring. Lets get through elementary school first.

I love the "paying for college" thing. One coach I talked to said the easiest way to a gymnastics scholarship was to take all the tuition money, meet fees, etc and instead of doing gym, put it into a fund. PResto...college scholarship! LOL!

Of course, then you would miss out on all the fun stuff like this ;)

I love the "paying for college" thing. One coach I talked to said the easiest way to a gymnastics scholarship was to take all the tuition money, meet fees, etc and instead of doing gym, put it into a fund. PResto...college scholarship! LOL!

Of course, then you would miss out on all the fun stuff like this ;)
It's definitely a money loser if you're doing it for college scholarships, especially if they wind up at a state school.

we (semi)jokingly tell all our new parents at our "welcome to team" booster club meeting that if they are in it for a college scholarship, to run now, put their money in an "interest losing" account, and that they will still end up ahead by the time their child is a senior!

]

Pity they don't get a life of their own and stup using their little children to boost their own inadequate egos!!
stay well clear of them and above all keep your daughter away from them!

Last edited:
I think in the beginning parents are overly anxious about their kids gymnastics. I know I was. Most of these crazy gym moms at the compulsory levels, mellow out when they get more years in the sport and their kids go to higher levels. At the compulsory levels, you can compete even when you are not feeling well and still bring home a decent sore. Once you reach Level 9 and 10 (and maybe even 8), the slightest error can throw your entire routine/meet and can cause serious injury. So maybe parents are gripping their seats too hard at the meets to have time to babble off. Also at the higher levels, reality starts to sink in that there are a lot of superstars out there and the intricacy of the sport becomes so apparent. I am fortunate however to say that I don't think I experienced any crazy gym moms in my daughters team. Just sit apart from the crazy moms
during meets.

Didn't read all replies. Your DD did a great job, especially after hurting herself. Congrats to her!

IGNORE THE CRAZIES. My oldest had a mom like that on her team. She used to walk around with th D1 list when the girls were only in 3-4th grade.

IGNORE THE CRAZIES. My oldest had a mom like that on her team. She used to walk around with th D1 list when the girls were only in 3-4th grade.
I don't want to ignore them; they provide comic relief. I spend plenty of time waiting for practice to get out or meets to start or rotations to start or awards to start, etc. At least there are some moments of comedy during all that waiting.

:-( Bring some support with you to her next meet....a friend, sister, cousin, etc. Just knowing someone's there for you to laugh about it with later makes all the difference. I know it's not always possible depending on where the meet is, but if you can't bring someone, find another normal mom in the bunch. (There has to be one!!!......I hope!) and band together with her.

Also, I think it's awesome your DD got a 35 AA, and more then that, went on and did her routines after a fall/minor injury. That takes guts. She must get it from her mama. (We already know you have guts from not screaming at the annoying moms next to you talking about your kid.) ;-)

I was hiding in the Leo rack during TOPs testing this summer... You wanna meet some crazy gym moms, come to a TOPs test! Whew! It was INSANE !

Though I have to say, a lot of the craziness was simply stress over wanting the girls to do well, since the had worked SO hard getting ready, and you can't blame a mamma bear for that!

But when you have the moms who know the qualifying scores from previous years and are calculating in their heads their DDs chances of qualifying to National Testing, well
That's just not something that I can wrap my head around!

I was hiding in the Leo rack during TOPs testing this summer... You wanna meet some crazy gym moms, come to a TOPs test! Whew! It was INSANE!

So true Hickory. Two years ago at National TOPS test parent meeting, a father was asking Gary Warren what he should do once his 8 year old daughter starts competing against the Chinese at the Olympics. In his defense, he may have a very talented daughter and she may indeed make it to the Olympic team, but that is at least 8 years down the road!

4theloveofsports, That father must be legendary crazy! I heard about him too with the daughter and competing against the Chinese!

It was funny 2 years ago and it's funny today!

those are some crazy gym moms! And seriously--talking about D1 scholarships at level 4?? Is the extra training for their DDs going to their heads?? Sounds like other than a small error on bars, your daughter had a great meet! Congrats to her--hope her ankle isn't still hurting. And I agree with everyone else--either start laughing internally at the crazy moms (too bad you can't make a drinking game up--a sip everytime a crazy moms talks about scoring, etc.) or finding somewhere else to sit!

and you might wonder why Gary has those "drugged" eyes...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back