WAG Frustration and fear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I really need to vent because I'm so frustrated about not feeling good enough! I love gymnastics, I really do but I'm too old and too tall and I'm scared so I guess I'll never win any medal at all. I'm a very strong person and very perfectionist too. I'm not satisfied with how fast I'm improving. First of all, I'm really scared of the beam and the bars. I really don't where that fear comes from but I'm trying to calm myself down and it doesn't work and it affects my gymnastics! I'm now 17 years old and 5 foot 8. I truly believe in myself but I seem to be the only one that does. I mean Oksana Chusovitina is 38 years old and steel competing un the Olympics! I'm I just being stupid? I should probably give up. I'm so overwhelmed because I would really miss it if I stopped...

First of all, welcome to the Chalk Bucket.
You are definitely not too old for gymnastics. You're never too old. If you still love it, that's all that matters. Gymnastics isn't about winning medals or getting to the Olympics. It's about loving the sport and having fun. Fear is a natural part of the process. If there is a certain skill you are afraid of, try starting back at the basics and working back up to the skill.
Don't give up on your dreams. Don't quit yet. I believe in you :)

As long as you love it keep doing it, depending on what skills you have and your gym you might be able to compete P1 (unless your in Ontario then I have no idea how the levels work). If you ask those who have stuck with gymnastics a long time and you ask them why they do it, I am sure there are a million reasons as to why they love it, but not very many will continue with it because they win medals. Keep up the hard work and you will succeed in and out of the gym with everything that you learn. Good luck and keep us updated!

Yeah I am definitely not doing gymnastics for the medals, I am doing it because I love it! But it is still a good feeling to be rewarded for your hard work! Thank you for the encouragement! :)

Welcome to the CB. Your never too old to do the things you love. Give yourself a break - alot of these skills are HARD and take time to learn. I don't know of any gymnast that doesn't have at least one "challenge event" You know that event no matter how good you are just scares the poo out of you. For my DD its Beam. When she is focused and forgets her fear she does really well but that is the event that she just fears the most and she too doesn't know why she just can't get over it.

keep with it and keep track of your progress on the computer or in a journal. You will see when you look back you are moving alot faster than you think. Just think this time last year the things you were just starting and now you just do it.

Want a good way to feel good about yourself? Write down all the skills that you can do right now. Then in a few months go back and look at the list. That should put a smile on your face. I love seeing how far I've come in just a short while.

Thanks everyone for encouraging me! Nobody who is close to me really does believe in me except myself so it feels good to hear a little bit of positivism!! :)

Thanks everyone for encouraging me! Nobody who is close to me really does believe in me except myself so it feels good to hear a little bit of positivism!! :)

You're not alone. It probably isn't a lack of believe but more a "I don't get the whole gym thing" Our family gets it because we have had a son and DD in the program for 15+ years and are very supportive of them doing gymnastics but ask any other family members or friends and they just don't get the whole thing. They don't understand the hours and hours of practice if you aren't going to the olympics, they don't understand missing social events for meets and practice, they don't understand the money we put into the practice etc. They don't understand why this is a 12 month a year commitment. if your not in gymnastics its hard to understand and give that support (even for moms and dads sometimes) Keep with it if you love it. The only one that has to "get it" is You!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back