Frustration with new skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was just wondering how many of you go through the same thing when trying to get a new skill. It seems like I can pick up a new skill without too much difficulty at first. I seem to get better each time and then suddenly I do it perfectly a couple times and then the frustration begins. I don't know whether its because I start to over think everything or am so determined I have to do it perfectly everytime afterward, but I start messing the skill up really bad. It seems like I do eventually figure it out and then it sticks after that but I wish I didn't have to go through the frustration first. For example, I was so excited that I finally got my back layout full twist of the tumble track and now I'm either throwing my head back and getting no height or starting to twist too soon. I just can't seem to do it right anymore.

I was wondering if any of you go through the same thing. Maybe its just a natural processing of learning a new skill. Kind of like when you teach a dog a new trick. They get it and then loose it before it hits their long term memory and just sticks :).

I think it is like teaching a dog new tricks. It seems quite common to temporarily lose skills, though for the younger ones, this is sometimes because of a growth spurt, which we don't go through. I think its probably just a temporary mental block, and you're putting too much thought into it now that you actually have it down.

Yes, everyone goes through the same thing, no matter what their age. If you're encountering trouble and are frustrated, go back to doing some basics that lead up to that skill. Maybe even do some skills you are really good at to keep your confidence up. Eventually you will work through the problem even if it means waiting for another day or two. Everyone has bad days when nothing seems to click. The important thing to do is to never give up on yourself!

are you over thinking your full before you start. think about what you need to do, not what you are doing wrong. i've found that it helps if i have someone record it so i can see what i am doing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back