Parents Full time working parents who use full time daycamp in summer - how do you accommodate summer hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have done morning camp and pick up at lunch, afternoon camp drop off at lunch and paid someone to help with before and after times and help with driving. I was able to find a college student that had limited summer classes. I also use a lot of vacation time in the summer working only during gym hours some days.

Paying a college student or older gymnast to either part-time nanny and then drive her to practice or transport from half-day camps to practice was my first thought. I'd ask at the gym to see if there's a recent graduate that may be home for the summer, a junior coach, or even a responsible HS senior who would perhaps be interested. After that I might inquire at church (if applicable), ask family friends that have older/almost grown kids, etc.

I did a lot of after school and summer nannying as a high school and college student, and it can be a pretty wonderful thing. The parents I worked for became great job references and (in several cases) mentors for me, and I was the right age to be a mentor-figure to the kids. I still have relationships with most of the families, and it's been great to watch the kids grow up. It was also a set up that worked a little better than camps as the kids made their way into middle school and didn't really need or want to be in camps all day every day - I could provide transportation and help plan activities while providing a reasonable balance of supervision and independence for the specific kid.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back