Full Turn Direction

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hsgymnast333

Gymnast
Hi, I’m fairly new to gymnastics and am self taught until I can join a gym (next winter). I thought my full turns were good, until I realized I was turning the wrong way! I always put my right foot in front and turn to the left. Is it okay if I do this, or do I have to have my left foot in front and turn to the left or vice versa? I’m really not good at turns doing them any other way, but if I’m going to get a deduction or this is actually wrong, I will work at it. Please let me know!

You are doing a dance turn. In optionals you are probably OK (depending on gym preference), but if you are going to do compulsory yes it's a deduction. The easiest is to start with just a half turn. Then turn that into a full. The easiest would be turning on your left foot, which is probably your dominant leg (leg you start a handstand or cartwheel with)

Yup, thats a dance true, where you turn towards your leg in passé. It's an easy fix, visualise the turn you want, with the correct direction (i.e turning towards the leg on the ground by leading with your shoulders), after practicing it for a while, it will become second nature :)

When you turn towards the leg you are standing on the turn is called en dedans, which is the traditional way to turn in gymnastics. If the turn is away from the standing leg, then it is en dehor and more traditional for dance.

My concern would be that your coach has not picked up on the fact that you are turning the wrong way. It’s pretty obvious.

I believe she doesnt have a coach, she is self taught

Right overlooked that detail.

To the OP. I would avoid anymore self teaching. It is much easier to learn new skills from absolute scratch than it is to retrace someone who has been taught to do skill incorrectly. You will have far more success when you join classes if you just leave the self teaching for a while.

Hi, I’m fairly new to gymnastics and am self taught until I can join a gym (next winter). I thought my full turns were good, until I realized I was turning the wrong way! I always put my right foot in front and turn to the left. Is it okay if I do this, or do I have to have my left foot in front and turn to the left or vice versa? I’m really not good at turns doing them any other way, but if I’m going to get a deduction or this is actually wrong, I will work at it. Please let me know!

Hey, I’m sure no one cares anymore but I just wanted to update. As soon as I started turning the correct way (on my left foot to the left) they’re so much easier. At this point, I have my full turn on beam and a double on floor. Thanks for the help everyone! (I did high school gymnastics in the summer so that’s how I got into a gym sooner than expected).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back