Coaches full turning giant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

LasswadeCoach

I have a 6 year old who has just started learning ehr full turnign giant, if thats what you call it in America :) The problem is she turns BOTH ways, and turns different ways every time she does it, I cannot support her correctly, as she turns a different way each time, does anyone have any skills or drills so I can help her, its very difficult to figure out!!

She also has the same problem with her full twist on floor, does anyone have any suggestions, she can do the full twist very good on her own, but I am unwilling to teach her to twist further if she cannot sort it out.

Any suggestions?

Wow...I guess that's a good problem to have.

Please read these articles (especially Table 6 in the first one).:reading:

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/publications/technique/2000/2/twistdir.html

More and more high level coaches are saying that the direction of the twist has something to do with the roundoff. Since you have a choice...I would go with the majority from table 6. By doing it this way, you open the door to some very high level tricks later on....see the next article.

http://www.i-needtoknow.com/gymnastics/technique/barani_confusion.html

GymnasticsZone.com states:
Twisting Wrong Direction
If a gymnast can’t learn a full after a long time of working on it, it is possible they are twisting opposite to their natural twisting direction (usually right shoulder back twisting if gymnast does left cartwheel). In a safe environment (a loose foam pit) try twisting the other way a few times and see if it is easier or you make rapid progress.

Also from Rick at GymnasticsCoaching.com

http://gymnasticscoaching.com/?p=736

Hope this helps...:D

I dissagree with the theory that natural twisting direction is related to which leg you start your roundoff with. Some kids naturally twist in the same direction (ie a left-footed tumbler twists right), some don't (I tumble left-footed but also twist left, and it's never given me any problems).

That said, a six-year-old doing full-twisting giants? Wow.

Anyway, I guess I don't really have any useful advice on what to do with this kid.

(I tumble left-footed but also twist left, and it's never given me any problems).

According to all of the articles above, left foot first would indicate a left twist. In others words...a left footed roundoff is actually twisting to the right...according to the articles.

1. Right Twisters
- all skills twist to the right
- round-off twist to the left (right hand first)

2. Left Twisters
- all skills twist to the left
- round-off twist to the right (left hand first)

Last edited:
The problem is not the twist itself, the twist is fine, ts the direction every time thats different

I have a 6 year old who has just started learning ehr full turnign giant, if thats what you call it in America :) The problem is she turns BOTH ways, and turns different ways every time she does it, I cannot support her correctly, as she turns a different way each time, does anyone have any skills or drills so I can help her, its very difficult to figure out!!

She also has the same problem with her full twist on floor, does anyone have any suggestions, she can do the full twist very good on her own, but I am unwilling to teach her to twist further if she cannot sort it out.

Any suggestions?

Do you have video of this 6-year old? I think that I speak for everyone on this forum that we would love to see this "wonder" kid's giants and fulls on floor. It was said that Kristal Uzelac, 3-time junior national champion in the U.S., could do a full at age 4, but I'd have to have to see it to believe it and I can only guess how her technique was.

In conclusion, maybe the issue is that you're trying to do highly advanced skills with a 6 year old. Let's keep in mind their overall cognitive ability.

Yes I shall film my gymnasts for you, and a full is not an advanced skill for a 6 year old? :S all 5 of my girls can full twist, one can just do it both ways :S:( in my girls routines I exxpect perfection, and my girls are doing there full's very well. Any other questions?

Do you have video of this 6-year old? I think that I speak for everyone on this forum that we would love to see this "wonder" kid's giants and fulls on floor. It was said that Kristal Uzelac, 3-time junior national champion in the U.S., could do a full at age 4, but I'd have to have to see it to believe it and I can only guess how her technique was.

In conclusion, maybe the issue is that you're trying to do highly advanced skills with a 6 year old. Let's keep in mind their overall cognitive ability.

I've seen the video of Chellsie Memmel doing a full on a tumble track at age 5. It was pretty funny looking. Her tumbling was mushy and ugly...now look at her. I guess I shouldn't call it ugly...it just looked like a 5 year old was doing it.

LasswadeCoach said:
The problem is not the twist itself, the twist is fine, ts the direction every time thats different

Just pick one for her...the articles are just to help you make an educated choice. If she can do everything both ways...start throwing tricks both ways...that will really impress the judges (and me too).

Last edited:
lol thats a good idea, but doesnt work on bars, as i cant support, because she needs to turn towards me and she keeps changing direction!

I always called a full twisting giant a full blind change (blind full). try having the gymnast learn a blind change on the floor---do like a back extension roll to handstand and do the half turn (like they would be on the floor). Also, if you have a double mini tramp, set up a bar by the slanted end; then have the gymnast start lying on their back and bounce to handstand--then do the twisting action. This will help break down the skill.

As far as the whole twisting one direction and tumbling another direction--it really doesn't matter, as long as they are consistant. have the gymnast decide which way they want to go and stick with that one way. GOOD LUCK! I loved doing that skill!

I have done these preparations before, but ive picked a way for her to twist, and she now sticks to that twisting direction every time:) thank you to anyone who posted in this forum :)

Glad to hear it's going well!:applause:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back