Coaches Fun cool down ideas for rec

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I am struggling with finding fun cool down activities for my recreational class. It is four kids ages 4-7 (love my little classes). What are some fun, relatively quick ones to do at the end of an hour long class?

P.S. I am halfway certified to being a real coach! Just a workbook and an 8hr theory course in my way!

This might take a few mins to explain but is tons of fun.
The group of children walk or crawl or skip or jump etc in "slow mo" around the area provided. The coach calls FREEZE and the children stop. The coach then says a number and the children get into that number group of children. The coach then says a letter and the group of children have to try and make the letter with themselves. The little ones need some direction but soon (against odds) get the hang of it.
E.g children skip in "slow mo" coach calls 3 *children get into group of 3* coach then says "P" children (in their group of 3 the children try to make the letter P" if they are more competent an are safe try saying vertical (make the letter in the air) or horizontal (make the letter on the floor) or something like that
Hope this makes sense and is helpful! Have a great day Xx

Bit obvious but how about Simon says? It is fun for them, you can chose actions to be appropriate to the class and the space and you are also sneakily teaching them a bit about discipline and listening to instructions.

'Story' cool down. You basically make up some random story and get the kids to act it out. We did one recently where the kids (and coach) were all pirates, creeping along, running between hiding spots (big mats, boxes, etc) jumping over obstacles, 'keeping their guns dry' walking with their arms up, 'walking the plank' jumping in to the pit and wading through it, while keeping their guns dry, of course... It doesn't require any set up, you just leave everything where it is and hide behind things of whatever as they are. Next time you could have them being in a forest and hiding from the big bad wolf, escaping from a booby trapped castle, etc. once you have done it a few times you can let one of the kids lead it and do the story.

I play simon says all the time with my rec kids (5-8yo). They love it! "Simon says do 10 tuck jumps on the crash mat etc" and you've never seen kids so excited to do conditioning! Haha... All the other coaches laugh at me but are secretly jealous of how excited my kids are to do conditioning. The secret is to never let on that it's hard work or something to be disliked. I tried it out with the older non-rec kids but they weren't so keen :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back