Coaches Fun games for recreational gymnasts on trampoline?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I teach recreational gymnastics to intermediate level girls Tuesdays-Thursdays and I always have a hard time coming up with fun activities for them. Usually on trampoline, we just work skills (i.e. backhand springs, front handsprings, front and back tucks, various jumps, etc.) what are some skills or fun activities I can do with them just on trampoline? We do have a spitting belt also. My particular class I'm really asking for is actually a senior class (ages 11-15) because they are much older and games don't excite them like eight year olds do. They have handsprings and tucks by themselves if that helps!

In my class if the coach is feeling nice we play stick it, but kind of altered. We usually play it in tumbl track but I guess it could be changed for trampoline and still be effective. A gymnast does her skill (front salto, round off backsalto or layout ect.) and they have to stick 5 then they can move on to the next skill. We usually play this for a good 30 mins with people usually starting with round off back tucks and finishing with roundoff back layout fulls, or starting with frontsaltos and finishing with handspring layout fulls. Depending on the skill level and drive of the group in question this game could be quite effective. Also there is games like add-on which can still be fun for older kids! A person starts with a skill and then the next person preforms the previous persons skill then adds there skill, the game continues. Good luck.

Also there is games like add-on which can still be fun for older kids! A person starts with a skill and then the next person preforms the previous persons skill then adds there skill, the game continues. Good luck.

Yes, Add-on is a great game! We always play that you have to remember all the skills in the correct order and then if you forget, you are out. Its still one of my favorite trampoline games!... too bad the gym I coach at only has a Tumbl Trak :(

Also, you can try seeing who can do the most back or front tucks in a row. Or you can come up with fun little "routines" and see who can get them. Ex: Flyspring, straddle jump, seat drop, back handspring or back tuck, split jump, front tuck.

Have Fun!

If you have more than 1 trampoline you can play 'drop', with a small bean bag or soft ball. Everyone bounces and whoever has the ball throws it to someone else, who has to catch (neither may stop bouncing to throw or catch). If they miss then the thrower amd catcher get down, next person gets up. This keeps everyone engaged as catching while jumping is HARD. As EU improve you can add stuff to make it harder - full twist and then throw, only one bounce before you throw, etc.

You can also do races where they bounce along the lines of the metre box (can have 2 on one tramp if you're comfortable with that - I'm generally not so I have them race on 2 adjacent trampolines) in a seat landing position, pushing along to bounce on their bottom using their hands. This can be made more difficult by having them turn - I generally have them go along the tramp 3 times - first and second time they touch the mat with their hand when they turn, to finish its the first person to touch with any body part, and since I have them go feet first, it's generally their feet.

You can have them do challenges (which are also great for conditioning!) how many tuck jumps can you do in 30 seconds? <- great Ab and quad conditioning if they do them really low, how many seat landings, seat ->fronts, back bounces etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back