Parents fundraising

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ok, I came across a tidbit of information from a gym coach. She told me the other day that she "feels bad that the head coach has to be involved at all in the fundraising " (that the parents do.) At first, didnt understand, so she clarified, well "he shouldnt have to do any organization of any fundraising, he uses the money to travel, and expenses, he shouldnt have to do anything involved in fundraising.":eek: What??!!
Am I living under a rock or something???
ok, so we dont have a parents organization, and he forbids us to have one, so...need some feed back, am I wrong to think that we should do all the organization, fundraise, and hand him a nice check?? This came up recently because we are running a recreational gymnast meet, as a fundraiser, he is the head coach at the gym where this is going on.
Yes, I am a little put off by this.:cool:

sorry, it is confusing to write it all out, my position is::

We as parents have to fundraise to offset expenses incurred by the coachs' during meet season. Another coach/parent of gymnast on team thinks that the coaches should not have to do any part of the planning, participation or have any involvement in the fundraising process.
Hope that helps

I tend to agree with that parent. You are paying the coach to travel to meets and work there. Why should he/she have to participate in planning/raising the money you are paying them?

Many gyms that don't have a booster club to help pay coaching expenses, just bill the parents as the coach/meet fees come up. Is your gym doing this?

If you're trying to fundraise to offset coach's expenses--gas/meals/lodging then I have to agree that the coach should not be required to help with the event. I guess it comes down to you either pay out of pocket or through some fundraisers.

We have no fundraising, we just pay the bill for the coaches. Are you sure you would rather do it this way than fund raise to help?

The coaches are working when they travel to meets, including the travel time. They shouldn't really have to fundraise for their paychecks!

Our coaches are required to do NO fundraising. It is our jobs as parents to do this or just pay the bill out of pocket. Our booster club does do some fundraising but mostly we exsist to process meet stuff and support he team actvities so we dont need to pay the gym to do this also.

Hope this helps.

I am confused however how you fundraise without a parent association. Is your gym a non-profit?? If not don't you need to be a 501c3 or else be paying taxes on this income??

Yes, you need to have a 501(3c) which is formally organized and registered (with a formal set of by-laws that defines the purpose and goals of the organization) and filed with the IRS as a non-profit if you want to avoid taxes. If you 'fundraise on your own without this then any money earned is part of your income and must be reported as such and is taxable. I agree with the others that you should not expect the coach or owner to fundraise money that you parents owe them for the service they are providing. However, I also don't understand why the coach/owner would object to a booster club, and in fact, if you don't include the gym itself in the booster club activities then why would they have any say in what you do to raise money?

Add us to the gyms that don't do fundraising. They give me a number (for coach travel fees, equipment fees, etc.) and I write them a check. They give me another number and I write them another check. And so on.

I understand why a gym wouldn't want a HC to be involved with fundraising. The fundraising is for parents to off-set your financial burden. But, I don't see how your could organize your fundraising attempts without a booster club or similar organization.

I think about it like my kids' schools. I do a lot of fundraising for them. While the classroom teachers benefit from the fundraising, I don't expect them to be actively involved in it, because it is supposed to be the parent contribution to the community. Of course, if we want to use school grounds, etc. for fundraising events, we need to coordinate with them, but it is our responsibility.

he uses the money to travel, and expenses, he shouldnt have to do anything involved in fundraising.
.:cool:

Basically yes. It is his job to coach the girls and take them to meets. You pay him to do his job. You don't fundraise to pay your own wages.

However I would expect a coach to be involved in a meet in some way at his gym, maybe taking gymnasts round, showing up and being around even. Handing out trophies or something.

Add me to the confused how you fundraise without have a tax exempt booster club. Where is the money going that you raise--is there a checkbook it gets deposited it or does it go straight to the gym (in which case he needs to claim it as income).

Our booster club does fundraising--for the past few years we've paid for all entry fees for all meets and always pay for the coaches meet expenses and travel fees. The coaches--whether team coaches or the head coaches/owners are not involved at all--unless it's to okay us using the gym lobby to sell something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back