WAG Funny Things Gymnasts/Coaches Say

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CAGymmie

Gymnast
This is kind of similar to another thread right now, but what are some funny things that gymnasts and coaches say that make no sense to anyone else? I'll get us started.

"Squeeze"(Followed by your butt, legs, arms, ect.)
"Arms by your ears."
"I need to go get undressed." (Meaning get in just my leotard)

I ate mat... I hurt my ankle but it doesn't hurt = translation I fell but it didn't hurt
The loud cries of is that hollow... From across the gym...

My Odds coach used to always tell her on floor, your a doorknob, she never understood what that meant until one day out of the blue she like does her mean I'm boring

Asking the bar coach to help her find her contact that was somewhere in her eye. And once found to remove it for her.

That may seem weird to an outsider but that is a very nice thing for a coach to do for his/her gymnast!

I had a coach pop a pimple for me once. I never asked her to but she was telling me the plan for vault that day and then out of nowhere pops the pimple on my face. It was so awkward and it seems weird to outsiders and to "insiders!"

A couple of things I heard in the last couple of days, which made me think of this thread and what utter gobbeldy gook it would have sounded to anyone else:

"just start with short complex tonight"
"drive your heels faster"
"push away with your shoulders"

All sorts of comments about 'rings' and 'sheep jump to Shushunova' and 'when you've got this we can move on to...' insert some strange name which would mean nothing to anyone other than a gymnast, but to which they don't even blink!

'pretend you have a £50 note between your bum cheeks'
'you're swimming!' (when there is no pool anywhere near)
'you're winding down the windows'
'keep your legs closed woman!'
'hey, tramps, come over here'/'lets have a trampy trip to...'/'can you move that tramp please?'
'Mark's not doing it right, pass me the belt!'
'Bite your leotard'
'If you keep doing that, I'll tie your legs together!'

Once heard a parent say after being assigned scores flashing duties at a meet that she was a tramp flasher for the day. Said with a smile and laugh

Somes things I say sometimes:
  • You were as tight as a cooked spaghetti. One gymnast later explained to us that she has spaghetti coming out of her vertebral column and that's why she wasn't tight.
  • Run as fast as if there were 25 lions that hasn't eaten for days behind you. The only safe place is behind the vault.
  • Push your ribs in
  • You're shopping for a good wrist pain if you don't open your shoulders in your backhandpsring

'pretend you have a £50 note between your bum cheeks'
'you're swimming!' (when there is no pool anywhere near)
'you're winding down the windows'
'keep your legs closed woman!'
'hey, tramps, come over here'/'lets have a trampy trip to...'/'can you move that tramp please?'
'Mark's not doing it right, pass me the belt!'
'Bite your leotard'
'If you keep doing that, I'll tie your legs together!'
WHAT?!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Awesome...

"Motorbike!! Where was your motorbike?!"

(correct landing shape...in DD's gym, it's called a motorbike shape, because of the bent knees and arms held out in front)

We call our big mat (level 3 vault) "Baby Baluga." We also have an inflatable bouncy mat that we call "The Friend". Along with various other mat names, we have names for some of the beams, such as "Kit-Kat" and "Squishy"

To anyone else we must sound crazy.

"Go put Baby Baluga under the bars."
"Put an 8-inch behind The Friend."
"Go work your series on Kit-Kat"

JAO posts a lot of the funny ones of his convo's with his girls on his FB wall. I probably put some in the old thread.

The favorite one I heard in 2011 was "Have you ever thought of chess or soccer?" It was said in a fun teasing manner by my Ukranian friend and of course I've stolen it in recent years.

- When my kids do supermans "arch-ups" I tell them "No flopping like fish!"
- "Find your toes" when I want them to get their heads in
- "Hide your ears" for arms up
- "Pretend you just got punched in the stomach" for hollow position/rounding their back's
- "No noodle arms!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back