WAG Funny things only gymnasts do

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

esor

Proud Parent
Gymnast
One of my favorite things about my DD and gymnastics are her "quirks" that only a gymnast would do or that a parent of a gymnast would understand. For example. when she was age 6/7, much to her grandmothers chagrin, she would only cartwheel through a store if she had to go shopping with anyone - she refused to walk like a normal child. Today, now that she is a few years older, she will be walking and randomly do a front walkover mid stride without even thinking about it. I am so used to it I don't even blink but other bystanders are like "whoa, did you see that?"

I thought it might be fun to hear what other gymnasts do that are normal to them, but very surprising to the general public. Please share your stories!

Mine stands in handstands in waiting rooms or the like. She has been working on lengthening her hold so she will just stand there on her hands sometimes even saying something to me. I barely notice and respond to whatever she is saying like it is nothing but the looks on other peoples faces are priceless.

Once when my DD was about 5 or 6, she was having a temper tantrum (about what, I don't remember) and I sent her to her room. She stomped through the living room toward the stairs, and then in the middle of the room, did a cartwheel, then kept stomping to her bedroom. Of course, I could not help but to laugh. That only made her more angry! Funny how even in the middle of throwing a fit, she had to tumble in the most open area of the room.

She has also spent many shopping trips being told that the grocery store (or Home Depot, or the mall, or wherever) is not an appropriate place to be tumbling.

We once walked in a parade with a group from our church and she made it her goal to cartwheel the entire 2-mile parade route. She did it, but had black hands when we were done.

Mine was doing side handstand dismounts on a raised flower bed the other day, I wasn't even noticing but when I looked up from my ice cream she had a small audience... Then she started doing backwalkovers like 5-7 in a row, when I told her it was time to go she got a round of applause

My DD sits in splits or headstands on the couch (I'm sure all gymnasts do this). Cartwheels all over the place, back walkovers on curbs, backhandsprings on the grass at school, Backhipcircles/kips/pullovers/casts on any metal bar in shopping stores, parks, etc. Compulsory dance moves down aisles at stores.

Gymnasts are hilarious, and talented!!

HAHA, it's so true about not being able to just walk!! My girls do the same, bust out front walkovers, cartwheels ever 4-5 steps! Like all of you, I don't even notice anymore but it definitely gets the attention of others! Sometimes I wonder why the heck are people looking at us weird, then I realize my DD has been doing handstand walks! Ahh, nothing like living with little gymnasts!!:D

We spent 14 days on a cruise ship last year. After 2 weeks of hand stands on a rocking ship his hand stands on dry ground were rock solid.

Just today while waiting for his brother at a local amusement park he was trying to see how many hand stand turns he could do. Guess missing going gym tonight for this excursion isnt a big deal!!

My DD likes to read or watch TV laying on her back with one of her legs flat on the ground, and the other one up flat by her head. Like in splits, but on her back. I don't even think she knows she's doing it sometimes. And if I tell her she's a crazy weirdo, she's like "What? It's comfortable!!!!"

My DD is a teenager, so she doesn't do the handstands, cartwheels or BWOs in public any more. However, she did take a cute picture with her friends while they were all sitting in the grass and, of course, her toes were pointed in the picture. Neither of us even noticed, but when she posted the pic to Instagram, another gymnast friend immediately pointed it out. I think there are some things that will stick with them even after retirement.

At the airport with some team members last month, waiting for our flight, 6 10 and 11 year olds doing aerials, they had quite the audience, and I am sure helped pass the time not only for themselves, but for everyone watching as well. ;)

My DD does handstands, walkovers, splits anywhere she possibly can...being at the store, or where ever we are. It really doesnt bother me, but my DH doesnt really like it lol..i think its the only thing we really disagree on ( i win though). The main thing I have to tell her about though while we are out and she is doing it, is watching for other people. I love taking her to the bungee thing in the mall, and watching her do like 5-6 flips in the air, while half the mall walkers are gasping and watching her open mouthed. I LOVE IT!!

We just got home from a walk where my daughter cartwheeled herself right into a flowering shrub...oops. I happened to be recording it, but my phone ran out of memory and it cut off :(

One of my favorite things about my DD and gymnastics are her "quirks" that only a gymnast would do or that a parent of a gymnast would understand. For example. when she was age 6/7, much to her grandmothers chagrin, she would only cartwheel through a store if she had to go shopping with anyone - she refused to walk like a normal child. Today, now that she is a few years older, she will be walking and randomly do a front walkover mid stride without even thinking about it. I am so used to it I don't even blink but other bystanders are like "whoa, did you see that?"

I thought it might be fun to hear what other gymnasts do that are normal to them, but very surprising to the general public. Please share your stories!

My dd is 6 (will be 7 next week ;) and does this same exact thing!!! Cartwheels down the sidewalk, cartwheels down the aisles, just can't stop her!!

She also searches out places to practice casting - what furniture would suit her needs best. Not to mention finding the perfect sport to practice pull ups on.

She climbs the door frames. Is constantly in a handstand.
She just can't get enough!!!

Tonight after a surprise private, we got a call an hour before and my dd was so tired, she could barely walk from the car to the house, but I had filmed some new skills and as soon as I was watching them, she's in demo mode.... But my big rule about public gymnastics is not if little kids start trying, sure if no one is at the pool pull your front tuck into the pool, but when the neighborhood kids are there, not going to happen...
She knows if normal, non gymnast kids try to start doing what she is doing it's time to start...

Grocery stores and malls are always a big hit. And it's amazing how just one or two back handsprings (even cartwheels sometimes ) will make people at a park, field, or school, stop and stare, and ask the inevitable question, "does she do gymnastics?":)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back