Funny things people in the gym have said...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ever think about how conversations in the gym sound to an outsider?

- Level 4 finishes a bars routine with an underswing dismount.

Coach: What did you do with your butt?
Gymnast: I dropped it.
Coach: Correct.

I once told two 7 year olds to go and warm their bits up. Another coach overhead and cracked up in hysterics. They knew I meant go and warm up the skills in their floor routines ready to show full routines. It just sounded wrong.

Around Christmas, my gym had a big potluck for team members. Every single kid who came was reasonably well dressed -- and wearing their leotards or something else they could tumble in under their nice clothes.

Later, I was discussing the party with one of the parents, and mentioned how I thought it was funny that as soon as everybody was finished eating, they all took off their clothes and started working out.

An unsuspecting rec parent walked up while I was in the middle of saying this, and apon seeing the horrified look on her face I had to very quickly go back and explain the context.

Good times.

Last edited:
Teaching a begginer class on bars - they were practicing long swings with re-grips (re-grasps?). little 8 yr old girl had it amazing the week before but couldn't get her timing that day. I asked where her re-grips were ad without missing a beat she said "well, you know, I was playing hide and seek with them and they hid so well I never found them again!"

Teaching a begginer class on bars - they were practicing long swings with re-grips (re-grasps?). little 8 yr old girl had it amazing the week before but couldn't get her timing that day. I asked where her re-grips were ad without missing a beat she said "well, you know, I was playing hide and seek with them and they hid so well I never found them again!"

Wow, that sounds like a very precocious (or very smart-aleck) 8-year-old.

Around Christmas, my gym had a big potluck for team members. Every single kid who came was reasonably well dressed -- and wearing their leotards or something else they could tumble in under their nice clothes.

Later, I was discussing the party with one of the parents, and mentioned how I thought it was funny that as soon as everybody was finished eating, they all took off their clothes and started working out.

An unsuspecting rec parent walked up while I was in the middle of saying this, and apon seeing the horrified look on her face I had to very quickly go back and explain the context.

Good times.

wow haha.
we did that one time too for my coaches (Ms. shannon) going away party in March.
we all took off our clothes (w/ leotard or something else under)and started working out and playing after the dinner. but i don't think anyone said anything weird...we were all team kids :)

Good times.

Oh yes, good times :)

A level 4 tries to do a front tuck off the mini tramp and lands flat on her butt. Big mat, no problem. She turns around and says "Ooh I think I broke my butt knuckle!"

One of my new Level 4s was a bit excited and therefore...uh...over enthusiastic with her backhipcircle-underswing and kept doing mini free hips instead. Her self-talk:

"Ashley, it's a back HIP circle. That means you use your hips!" (not her real name).

When another aspiring Level 4 landed on me while working on the dismount:
"so what happened?" (trying to get her to tell me she didn't kick quite as high as she needed to, or that she got loose and floppy noodles).
"I fell?"
"...yes you did."

At the end of the warm up our head coach says 'Drink the toilet and clothes off'. As in, get a drink, go to the toilet and take your tracksuits off, but it does make some of the gymnasts crack up!

I was trying to explain to one of my girls that she needed to cast to horizontal in her bar routine and showed her the position on the floor and and pictures of how high it was etc.
She had another try and then jumped off the bar and asked "did I cast parallel??"
lol it made me laugh so much!! It was such a cute question! It's funny how things get muddled up/make sense in littlies heads! :)

My preteamers kill me.

A new girl (aged 7) joined our group, and she was concerned about not knowing what things were or how to do them, so we told her to watch another girl (aged 8) because she's hardcore.

"What's hardcore?"
"it means she does everything to the best of her ability and never gives up"
"mkay" and off she goes.

At the end of class, halfway up the rope, the new preteamer grits her teeth and grunts "I wanna be hardcore!".

So cute.

Once my coach was spotting me on my clearhip hand and I didnt open my sholders and he dicided that I needed to learn a leson so he didn't help me open my sholders. So I stradled the bar. So my coach goes "So what did you do wrong that time" and I go "I stradled the bar". and we just all started laughing.

Ok, so a former student of mine now coaches rec boys at my gym. He is, shall we say, still a kid at heart.

So anyway, I was in early one day to work out, and he showed up early as well and spent about two hours solid playing on trampoline. Once it was time for classes to start, he hopped off the trampoline, jogged out on the floor, jumped up in the air, and did a back drop. Yes, you read that right; a back drop on floor. Everybody in the gym saw him do it. He got up, his face bright red, clearly hurting but not wanting to admit it, and said "I forgot I wasn't on trampoline."

I laughed until I cried.

Last edited:
Ok, so a former student of mine now coaches rec boys at my gym. He is, shall we say, still a kid at heart.

So anyway, I was in early one day to work out, and he showed up early as well and spent about two hours solid playing on trampoline. Once it was time for classes to start, he hopped off the trampoline, jogged out on the floor, jumped up in the air, and did a back drop. Yes, you read that right; a back drop on floor. Everybody in the gym saw him do it. He got up, his face bright read, clearly hurting but not wanting to admit it, and said "I forgot I wasn't on trampoline."

I laughed until I cried.

That's really funny...I wish I could have seen it!

One of my pre-team gymnasts always says that cutest things.

During her 1st week, we lined her group up after bars and asked what they'd learned, hoping they'd say something like "My shoulders lean forward when I cast," or, "I always should pull over with my legs straight."

Amy raised her hand. We called on her.

"I've learned that we should always listen and do what the coaches tell us," she said.

"Good," we said.

She raised her hand again.

"Also, when we are waiting for you we should stand in a line. And we should stand still with our hands by our sides."

"That's true," we said, "Anyone else learn anything?"

Amy raised her hand again.

"And, when we are standing, we shouldn't lean against the wall. And we should be nice to each other. And not hit. And we should always try our hardest. Or we won't make team."

-------------

A couple weeks later, this same little girl was complaining that her wrists hurt on floor, so we told her to take a break and stretch them out.

Not even a minute later, she was doing standing backbends.

One of the coaches asked, "Amy, do your wrists feel better?"

She responded, "No, they still hurt. But this is gymnastics, you have to FEEL THE PAIN!"

We then asked, "Where'd you hear that?"

To which she said with a grin, "I made it up."

--------

The things kids say.

So anyway, I was in early one day to work out, and he showed up early as well and spent about two hours solid playing on trampoline. Once it was time for classes to start, he hopped off the trampoline, jogged out on the floor, jumped up in the air, and did a back drop. Yes, you read that right; a back drop on floor. Everybody in the gym saw him do it. He got up, his face bright red, clearly hurting but not wanting to admit it, and said "I forgot I wasn't on trampoline."

I laughed until I cried.

These moments are always excessively hilarious.

Once we were supposed to be doing handstand forward rolls in beam warm up, and one of my friends got confused coming down and did something in between a HS roll down and a HS bridge down, kind of straddled the beam from her back and flipped off sideways. Everyone just stopped and cracked up, and she was half cracking up and half curling into a ball going "I got confusedddd". LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back