Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

or when , your parents think they know what they are talking about. and they come to watch you at practice , but then after wards critisise you , because they had no idea what you were doing but they thought they did . and they say like why did you do this , you have to do this
that ever happpen to anybody besides me !?

yeah, i messed up a round-off double bhs and my mom was telling me all these things i 'did wrong'. I'm like 'MOM! I know what i did! I could feel it and my coach told me!' she got it all wrong and it drives me crazy, too.
some other stories:
these guys i sit next to in PE at school who are football players turn all red after like 15 push ups and i'm like 'this is so easy!' they also freak out when they see my hands, especially when i rip. (actually any guy freaks when you show them your hands if your a gymnast...) and i was talking to a friend and he's like 'wait, whats that suit thingy that you always have to wear to gym?' i was laughing so hard and i was like 'you mean a leotard?'

Today during my trig class I mentioned how I hurt my shoulder a bit last night at gymnastics. A guy that sits next to me then asked me a question that spurred conversation that showed his lack of gymnastics knowledge. It went about like this:

Him: You do gymnastics? Can you teach me?
Me: No...
Him: Why not?
Me: It wouldn't be safe, you are a guy, and I'm not very good anyway. Plus, why do you want to know how to do gymnastics?
Him: Some gymnastics things are done in breakdance. You know, on the -makes gesture to show pommel horse-. You should be able to show me that.
Me(astounded by this point): No. That's men's gymnastics. I'm a girl, I don't do that stuff.
Him: There's a difference?
Me: Yes.
Him: What's different about it?
Me: The events done.
Him: Such as?

I just stopped talking to him and went back to trying to focus on my trig teacher.

I was at a baby shower recently and i was talking to an aunt and she was like "oh you do gymnastics right...are you going to the Olympics" (this is a common occurrence for me, and many other gymnasts on CB it seems, so i really wasn't phased by this comment).

Then, she told me her daughter used to do gymnastics and that she was "catcher".
haha i was so confused for a minute...i was like (in my head) "she's a who?". Then I realized OH, she's a coach (spotter?). ha

Talking to my aunt about gymnastics was actually the most confused I'v been about the sport in my life. She had no clue what she was talking about, i couldn't follow the conversation at all...so i just smileed and noded.

And then there's my mom....My coach told someone to run harder on vault before, so now that's all my mom ever tells me if she see's me vaulting. She's like "run. run. run" haha. oh boy.

I love everyone stories by the way. They are all great!

At a place that has bounce houses they have teen night and alot of people from my school go. The guys try and flip and majority of the time land on their back or but. i stick everything (it looks really funny, i've accidently saluted before). So i grab my legs in a tuck position in a front flip and they all tell me 'that looks so stupid your doing it wrong!' i'm thinking 'yeah.... i'm the one doing it wrong....'

also when i dont stick something i say dang that was bad they are like i thot that was sooo awesome and they like gasp. does that happen to any1?

Once I went to my friend's birthday party and I wanted to show off my back bend. Then they all started yelling "AH! NO! Not enough room in here!" Like I was going to start tumbling or something. Then I did my back bend and they were all like "oh." XD

My friends and family can never keep skill names straight. I always have to go on youtube and show them XD Once my friend called a round off a "flip forwards."

Mom always gets all nervous when she watches gymnastics on tv. Every time they flip on the beam she's like "Ahh!" Ooh!"

It's really annoying when people expect to be able to do all kinds of stuff right away. And then they get all grossed out when you do the splits. But it's even worse when they ask you to teach them!

I used to be stupid, too. Before I started gym, I thought beam routines involved moving from one beam to another XD

That would be a pretty awesome beam routine fishchimes!!

This is a case of me being stupid...

I wasn't listening in chem and the teacher asked me what an endo reaction and I was like inbar straddle to handstand!
He just told me to pick a window LOL.

:eek::eek::eek:

Sometimes people think that you have to be short in order to be a gymnast, so when my 5'5'' self says "I'm a gymnast" they say "Only short people can be gymnasts..." I sigh...

i'm right there with you. i'm 5'7'' & everybody insists i should play basketball rather than doing gymnastics.

hehe some of these are funny!

When watching the olympics my friends always ask me 'can you do that?' I just smile and answer 'if I could, I'd be there!'

I remember doing a handspring vault at a competition once and in warm up the springboard was too close to the vault. I overrotated the vault and did a roll out of it - My dad though it was amazing and couldn't understand why I didn't do it in the 'real thing'.

In GB we call backhandsprings 'backflips' My friends are always amazed when I tell them I can backflip - they all think its done without hands! hehe I have to correct them 'no, that's a somersault, not a backflip!'

Can't think of any more at the mo!

hehe some of these are funny!

When watching the olympics my friends always ask me 'can you do that?' I just smile and answer 'if I could, I'd be there!'

I remember doing a handspring vault at a competition once and in warm up the springboard was too close to the vault. I overrotated the vault and did a roll out of it - My dad though it was amazing and couldn't understand why I didn't do it in the 'real thing'.

In GB we call backhandsprings 'backflips' My friends are always amazed when I tell them I can backflip - they all think its done without hands! hehe I have to correct them 'no, that's a somersault, not a backflip!'

Can't think of any more at the mo!

I love that vault one!

Whenever I tell someone I did gymnastics (because we are in Texas) it's always "Were you part of WOGA?!" Ummm...noooo

Or whenever my boyfriend introduces me to someone new he's always like "She was part of a cult. Yes, a cult! It was hidden by an innocent name...gymnastics!" Ah, yes, the evil cult of gymnastics. Whatever shall we do? :p

I love gym class. Always have and probably always will. At my old school we did a gymnastics unit. The first day would be spent watching a video of one of my gymnastics meets. After that, she would spot them on like backbends over a mailbox and they would practice thier foreward rolls. Well, the gym teacher would set up a row of panel mats, and i would show off. I was 9 and i would do like RO BHS layout, and RO BHS full and stuff and everyone was so amazed.
At the highschool where i am now, the phy ed teacher was a really good wrestler, and he is the wrestling coach, and the wrestlers have gone to state, so thinks the wrestlers are all that, and girls are nothing. Well after the whole fitness testing incident (i did more pullups, pushups, and situps than his star wrestler and he didn't believe me until i showed him a backlayout full) he would always count me as a boy. Like when we play flag football, we play boys vs. boys and girls vs. girls and he always puts me with the boys. A bunch of the boys were mad at first, but then they got over it.
:)

So today was a nice day so i was outside doing my beam routine on my deck railing. It is basically the same width. And my G-Ma was at my house for Easter and she was watching, and said so how close it he width to the bars. and i was like grandma, its beam! and they are the same. :)

Well it wasnt some one that doesnt do gym. but this girl on my team it was the week before her first meet and she had only done gymnastics for a few years so she didnt know much about competing and me her and another girl on the team were talking and she goes, what do you do if you fall on beam at the meet? and me and the other girl wanted to have some funn. so this is kinda how our conversation went.
Kera who was the newer one
Me and then alexis
okayy...
Kera:what do you do if you fall on beam at the meet?
Me: uhmm well you do a pullover
Alexis: yeah then you start were you left off
Kera: REALLY?!
Me and alexis: yeahhhhh
Me: yeah and if you fall off the floor you do a squat on and jump on to the floor.
Kera: no you dont
Me and Alexis: yeahhhh you do
Me: come on would I really lie to you about that?
Me and Alexis: we start cracking uppp!
Kera: so you dont do a pullover on the beam?
hahahahahahahahahaha yeahhh it was funn maybe a little mean but yeahh i thought that was pretty funny

Heres another good one: "Rose, you're a gymnast you can do anything!"
One girl asked me if we had to put up our arms when they called our name and I said yeah, a salute. So she asked me to show her so me and this other gymnast saluted for her and she was like omg that's beautiful!

The other day I was at practice and there were a group of parents of the little girls who were in the intro class and they wanted to know why the coach never let them go on the rings. They were pretty mad that they didn't get any time on the rings.

I remember at elementary school we had a fitness test for pushups, were you had to touch someones hand all the way down, then come back up. I did 80, then the test ended, but I was still going, and my PE teacher had no idea what to do haha. The same thing happened again for situps. All of the boys in the school were mad that they got beaten by a girl.

I get" WHAT DID YOU DO TO YOUR HANDS????" and then IS THAT FROM GYMNASTICs.....DOESNT IT HURT???? and im like they are rips and you get used to them after awhile.

Last edited:
I remember at elementary school we had a fitness test for pushups, were you had to touch someones hand all the way down, then come back up. I did 80, then the test ended, but I was still going, and my PE teacher had no idea what to do haha. The same thing happened again for situps. All of the boys in the school were mad that they got beaten by a girl.

In middle school, one of my guy friends and I bet this other guy in our class $20 I would beat the entire class in pullups. We won.

one day..my non gymnast friend tried to do gymnastics in her cellar..
lol

"i would have made you proud this lovely evening. i gymnasticized for like a good 30 minutes. i have a solid cartwheel and a fishtailing handstand.
3A2D29
oh yeah and multiple bruises. but no pain no gain!!
3A2D29
"

"ok i am so mother funking sore. from falling on my hands, my face, my knees, and my *** for half the day. plus i squished my vital organs lol. i think theyre doing ok. just a little shaken.
3B2D29
"

:D she tried.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back