MAG Future of MAG and other non-revenue sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
This could really impact the future of MAG in colleges. I am a little worried (although I am working hard at not worrying about things that I do not have control over.) What does everyone think?

I am also worried that as a sport, it will be hard to recover. At this point, boys have lost at least a month of practice, and likely won’t begin practicing again until summer. This will result in lots of skills and strength gone no matter how hard they work out during time off. It would be great if MAG had a plan, like allowing kids to complete their current level even if they age out, or getting rid of upper age limits until this cohort leaves...I know they are doing their big redo this summer.

One thing I would love is if gyms adopt a program for college boys. There are very few schools with NCAA programs for MAG, it would be nice if there was something like JD for college boys (maybe Senior Development) that would let them continue their gymnastics. My son is 14, so I don’t know how club teams work, but it would be nice if he could continue to do gym even though he has no desire, and is not good enough to be on a college team.

MAG was already an at risk sport around here. Not many gyms offered much of a competitive MAG program, it has always been harder to get the numbers to justify it compared to WAG, to get qualified coaches and to manage the space for the 6 piece apparatus program. Financially gyms have found they would be better off putting in more bars and beams and growing their girls programs than to install rings, pommel etc.

So this may really be costly to our boys programs.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back