Gabby Douglas Hate - (Hopefully) An End

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

so your own president does it wrong? i will never get americans and their patriotism. it's just a piece of fabric and some music in the end?! fun to rally around for sporting events, but that's about that.

(perhaps this is just me being german and all. we had enough of the effects of "patriotism", thank you very much. i have been on national team and continue to train athletes at this level. we just stand up and stop talking during any national anthem and that's it.)

I've just had a conversation with some British (non gymnast) friends and this came up. They honestly can't see the fuss "She was giving supportive nods and hugs and stuff", and do think some of the comments have been racist.

To other countries with different cultural norms this does seem a storm in a teacup, and picking on the poor girl.

On a technical point- When the US code specifies "hand over your heart", in the 2012 video one of them has her hand on her shoulder- technically she would be "hand over upper left lobe of lung" ;) :p

I am having difficulty with understanding the basis for claiming that the negativity towards Gabby is rooted in racism. I really am curious about that.

While apparently there has been some hateful comments towards Gabby (at least that is what her mother claimed), what I have read here I would consider criticism of her behavior and would not categorize as bullying. I work in a middle school, so I am highly sensitized to the overuse of claiming to be 'bullied.' There is not a power imbalance here or threats... While I am sure she (like every other public figure, even the most adored) has had internet trolls make horrible comments on social media, I think the public at large have been pointing out behavior that did not put her in a good light and while at times perhaps overly critical and not nice, I would not categorize it as 'bullying' or 'racism'. She is not the only gymnast to go through this. Makayla Maroney was able to turn her 'not impressed' face around quickly to work to her advantage, the cameras were all over Jordyn after she missed AA qualification and throughout the olympics, people used to talk all the time about Rebecca Bross's 'messy bun' and criticize her hair.
I do think her mother has made it worse. She labeled it 'bullying' and first played the racism card. She also alluded to Gabby having other problems, stating "this isn't the place to talk about it."
All that said, even though we only see snippets, the most relaxed 'snippet' I saw of her was sitting in the chairs after she was done with bars. She really just looked relieved to me, I have really thought all along (since P&G) that she seems to want to be done. I am glad that she can now go and live the rest of her life. I really think this time around it was much more of a 'job' for her than in 2012. Of course, I don't know what is in her head though, that's just my thoughts and I could be way off base...

I think, also, we have to remember that we are seeing exactly what NBC wants us to see of her. She could have stood up and cheered, then sat down, and that is when NBC focused on her. I think that NBC has been happy to jump on this train and get people to watch to see what happens next.

There is nothing North korea about it. It is entirely appropriate for a country to have a standard for respecting the flag. As I said it is NOT a criminal law and there are no penalties for not following the standard nor is there any enforcement mechanism. It merely sets a standard. One which we expect public figures to follow -- certainly our national team athletes at a major international competition. Its called decorum.

Um, no its not actually. It seems to be a peculiarly American thing. In fact the rest of the world looks on this fuss with bemusement. But then we find your pledge of allegiance to the flag odd too. Maybe its a monarchy thing, we have our royals which we can look upon with more or less disdain, depending on your point of view, the flag hold no special worth to us, other than a flag.

This sums us up really

https://www.facebook.com/ScotlandFo...5793237884033/829924440470910/?type=3&theater

When the play the national anthem at dd's events everyone groans, hauls themselves out their seats, and tries to remember the words.

We went to a european event once (with much beer) and spent a great few days poking fun at each others national anthems. Dd did particularly well and everyone started roaring god save the queen every time they saw her.

It does seem to be an american thing to take it so seriously.

There is nothing North korea about it. It is entirely appropriate for a country to have a standard for respecting the flag. As I said it is NOT a criminal law and there are no penalties for not following the standard nor is there any enforcement mechanism. It merely sets a standard. One which we expect public figures to follow -- certainly our national team athletes at a major international competition. Its called decorum.

This cannot be any more bonkers for a country that is so wrapped up in individual freedoms and rights.

She stood quietly and made no attempt to distract from the ceremony. Cannot believe the people getting their knickers in a knot over this.

Not pro gabby nor anti gabby, just a thought... I never put my hand on my heart during the national anthem.

My hands are always at my sides while I am looking at the flag, and I am singing my heart out.
You miss the point here. Gabby was on the podium at the Olympics. You follow protocol.

This cannot be any more bonkers for a country that is so wrapped up in individual freedoms and rights.

She stood quietly and made no attempt to distract from the ceremony. Cannot believe the people getting their knickers in a knot over this.
Blame Canada!! Just kidding. Trying to lighten the mood

Reactions: sce
Well, people are going to read into what they want. There is no rule stating that you have to stand there singing the anthem with hand on heart. It's been pointed out elsewhere that hand on heart is during the pledge of allegiance. I think that she came and did what they asked her to do. Her teammates do not seem to have an issue with her (Aly stated that she got a sweet text from Gabby right after the AA). During the team comp, saw her right in there congratulating her teammates. So again, it's all about perception and quite frankly, the nitpicking has been on the ridiculous side. Just my opinion.

This may have been said, but I believe it's outlined in a code of conduct for USA Olympians (or at least the gymnasts from what I understand), what is expected of them on the podium, and hand on the heart is one of the thing.

Um, no its not actually. It seems to be a peculiarly American thing. In fact the rest of the world looks on this fuss with bemusement. But then we find your pledge of allegiance to the flag odd too. Maybe its a monarchy thing, we have our royals which we can look upon with more or less disdain, depending on your point of view, the flag hold no special worth to us, other than a flag.

This sums us up really

https://www.facebook.com/ScotlandFo...5793237884033/829924440470910/?type=3&theater

well, you are just wrong. In France it is a criminal offense under Article 113 of their penal code to "outrage" the flag OR the anthem and if committed by a crowd can result in 6 months in prison. In Germany defamation of the national anthem is a crime. British protocol requires that you stand at attention during God Save the Queen. I could go on and on. Frankly, these are customs and in some cases laws that the average person just does not know. But they are not only common, virtually every country has them. If you have any friends that are diplomats just ask them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back