WAG Gabby Douglas leaves Chow's Gym, moves to L.A.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is a sad situation. Gabby has one year until she turns 18. I hope at that time Gabby is strong enough to make some tough decisions in order to secure her future.

Our coach days she gets a good inclination of who will be leaving team soon by the balance they carry after state. :(

Wow....that is so terrible. I can't imagine not paying our gym bill! I would feel terrible. Even if we were planning to leave, I would still pay. We left a huge credit balance at our old gym...I didn't even ask for a refund.

From what I have read, Chow said she came to the gym and told him she was leaving---no explanation given. I think he might have been more hurt by that than her not paying her bill before she left.

I dont see how she could get away with not paying the bills. If we do.e something like that, then we would be asked to leave team and gym. No ifs,.ands, or bbbbuts about it.

At our gym, the coach understands financial difficulties. In September, she will go thru the records and let anyone with a balance know about it... and say they can't compete if it isn't paid. Of course, she is willing to work with the families. Some of the older girls will help with the rec classes (which comes with free team practice since the coach wishes she could pay more than min. wage, but she can't). One family, the mom came in to clean the gym every week to cover gym fees. Our coach is great about working with people - they just have to TALK to her!

Unless you've spoken to Chow himself or whoever does the books there, I doubt anyone here knows whether she technically owed him money, whether you consider yourself the "public" or not. And if you did really have that information, you wouldn't come on here dropping hints about it without his permission. That's why I automatically doubt all of these "I know something you don't know" from someone at GGMB or wherever these great sources are. Not classy, not right. If the Chows aren't choosing to divulge, you don't choose for them.And I don't care whose mother said what. That's hardly a reliable source either.

That said I think they've been a class act. The rest of us could stand to take a few lessons. They've said all that needed to be said.

But anyway, I'm certain she's done a lot for his business and I wouldn't be surprised if during her "comeback" he wasn't charging her to train there. Certainly people were chasing him from all over the country to get in his gym. High level groups aren't profitable anyway, but I assume he also got a huge burst in classes. Heck, every gym that didn't have the Olympic AA champ did.

As far as the Excalibur situation, I'm sorry it happened that way for them and I know it pained them greatly. But I don't think it's as straightforward there as it seems either. An agreement was made, they feel betrayed but they allowed it to happen. It's not like they were robbed at gunpoint. These things happen and they have been in the industry for a long time. They knew it was a possibility. Again, I know it pained them greatly and they were part of a great thing, and I do feel true compassion for the emotions they went through.

Our gym's official policy is no training if you fall more than 30 days behind. They also offer a small discount if you pay before the session begins. This is true for team and recreational classes.

Unless you've spoken to Chow himself or whoever does the books there, I doubt anyone here knows whether she technically owed him money, whether you consider yourself the "public" or not. And if you did really have that information, you wouldn't come on here dropping hints about it without his permission. That's why I automatically doubt all of these "I know something you don't know" from someone at GGMB or wherever these great sources are. Not classy, not right. If the Chows aren't choosing to divulge, you don't choose for them.

That said I think they've been a class act. The rest of us could stand to take a few lessons. They've said all that needed to be said.

But anyway, I'm certain she's done a lot for his business and I wouldn't be surprised if during her "comeback" he wasn't charging her to train there. Certainly people were chasing him from all over the country to get in his gym. High level groups aren't profitable anyway, but I assume he also got a huge burst in classes. Heck, every gym that didn't have the Olympic AA champ did.

As far as the Excalibur situation, I'm sorry it happened that way for them and I know it pained them greatly. But I don't think it's as straightforward there as it seems either. An agreement was made, they feel betrayed but they allowed it to happen. It's not like they were robbed at gunpoint. These things happen and they have been in the industry for a long time. They knew it was a possibility. Again, I know it pained them greatly and they were part of a great thing, and I do feel true compassion for the emotions they went through.

Our gym had record enrollment. USA had all-around champs 3 times in a row. It was bound to happen.

I don't understand how the public would find out about gabby still oweing money to chows gym, unless gabby or her mom said they did.

Not all of us are the "public". Some of us know many people in all sorts of places.

I meant "public" as people...My goodness..

Also, I know many of Excalibur's comments were motivated by pain and disbelief at the time but I want to expand on my comment that they were part of something great. They not only provided gymnastics training but opportunity to a child who could not have done gymnastics otherwise. In recent history of our sport we have not seen such a story, but in 2012 both Orozco and Douglas were given these opportunities.

I wish it could have played out differently in the media. Honestly I would have made the same move if it were my child in the same situation, but then I would have been paying the bill too because I am not low income. And I don't think it was necessarily fair for her to risk any more with the national team than a child with wealthier parents.

I guess, the Douglas story got 10 times the press as Orozco, but he basically had the same story, played out much differently with positive comments from the coaches at World Cup about how great it was to be part of the journey. It would have been great for our sport if everyone could focus on recognizing the role each key person had, and celebrating them for that. Excalibur deserves to be recognized for their contribution to changing the history of this sport.

I don't know how Gabby was allowed to not pay fees at Excalibur, but I think Chow might let it slide if he truly thought she could go to London. After that, he'd have tons of new gymnasts at his gym, and Gabby would be able to pay with her sponsorship money. Just speculation, though.

Alright...let's stop with all the "Gabby didn't pay stuff". That is information that would need to come from Chow's or Excalibur. Anything else is just hearsay.

Jordyn Wieber was always going to Waller after she left for college. She was going to UCLA to be an assistant coach of their team. I'm sure Geddert's known about it for at least a year or whenever she accepted the UCLA spot.

Not to dismiss Jordyn Wieber's recent news, but several articles (some old 2012 and some new) have estimated Gabby Douglas to make over $5-$10 million in endorsements over the next few years. The family was allegedly $80,000 in debt prior to Gabby Douglas winning the gold and is struggling to stay close to her to benefit from her millions. Her estimated net worth is pretty substantial. She was ready to throw in the towel a year after she moved to Iowa. I think she's done too but not without accomplishing a feat many just dream of.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back