WAG Gabby Douglas Reality TV Show?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

josie55

Proud Parent
Pardon me if this has already been discussed, but I recently learned that the Douglas family has a new reality TV show on Oxygen. Who's has seen it? What did you think? Wondering if I should tell my gymnast about it or let it be and see if she discovers it on her own... :)

DD and I watched the first episode online last week. It was fine. Some of the things that were "a big deal" on the show made me laugh. Seems to focus more on her family running her "business" than training, etc.

My 8 year old daughter (and most of her teammates) all like it. I agree that the conversations sounded very fake and unrealistic. And the mom and sisters seemed overly dramatic to me. :) But my daughter can't wait to watch the next one..

DD and I watched the first episode online last week. It was fine. Some of the things that were "a big deal" on the show made me laugh. Seems to focus more on her family running her "business" than training, etc.

I agree, which is why I'm not telling my gymmie about it. I don't like the idea of gymnastics=$$ and fame and business. That's not why she does it. If it focuses more on training in the next episodes then I may reconsider.

I think it might be mildly fun to watch if my dd didn't do gymnastics, or maybe was younger or at a lower level. Right now, the last thing anyone wants to do is watch more gymnastics and, like Make it or Break it, if it's not realistic it is super obvious and annoying! With all of the reality TV out there, it neither surprises me or upsets me, no more than any of the other shows out there...most of them don't have much more than surface entertainment value. Just seems like that train has left the station...I do hope and pray that someday the market will be saturated and we can get some decent, in depth or actually funny/interesting/unique programming back on. Ah well, back to watching Doctor Who...

I read an article about the show and Gabby said she didn't want distractions of the cameras while training so I don't think it will show alot of her at the gym training. My daughter and I liked the show though.

I think I'd enjoy it a lot more if it were like a day in the life or documentary style. We don't have TV though and it looks like we were only able to watch the first episode online. I'm not too sad about that!

Yawn. Scripted. Fake. I do wish her success in her gymnastics comeback. There was at least a strange honesty about the tacky fact that she appears to be supporting her mom and sisters. I don't admire them for that certainly, but then again she's not from a wealthy family who can buy/finance her own gym. That's really no more "noble." Eh.. I don't have a problem with her making a living from being a professional athlete. Women have to be creative to do that. Many more male athletes make a living at it than women, and US society practically idolizes them. Well heck I enjoy watching professional hockey myself from time to time.

I read an article about the show and Gabby said she didn't want distractions of the cameras while training so I don't think it will show alot of her at the gym training. My daughter and I liked the show though.

I don't think the gym would allow it either. It didn't show really any gymnastics except meet clips and such but there were a few conversations between her and Kittia that were obviously pretty scripted (like the conversation of Gabby "wondering" if she should throw the 2.5 (amanar) at the meet). Nobody at her age and level would "wonder" about that. She knew she wasn't doing it, of course.

Yawn. Scripted. Fake. I do wish her success in her gymnastics comeback. There was at least a strange honesty about the tacky fact that she appears to be supporting her mom and sisters. I don't admire them for that certainly, but then again she's not from a wealthy family who can buy/finance her own gym. That's really no more "noble."

Yes but the family who bought their own gym, did not trash talk the previous gyms or coaches... Thankfully there was none of that in the first episode.

I thought it was kind of weird the way Simone was talked about. She didn't say anything bad of course, but she almost made it sound like she wasn't that big of a deal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back