ganglion cyst on wrist

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My left wrist hurts when I do planching things.
When I bend my left wrist down, I see a big bump on it, its been like that for a long time, I think it's probably a ganglion cyst.
I'm going to go to the docters soon and see what they say.
Should I still be doing things that put alot of stress on the wrist, like frogstands, tuck planches and back of the hand push ups?

My left wrist hurts when I do planching things.
When I bend my left wrist down, I see a big bump on it, its been like that for a long time, I think it's probably a ganglion cyst.
I'm going to go to the docters soon and see what they say.
Should I still be doing things that put alot of stress on the wrist, like frogstands, tuck planches and back of the hand push ups?

I have the same thing, except mine doesn't show. I mean I think it doesn't matter if you still continue the things your doing because it will NOT get worst. But if it hurts too much just stop and wait to go see if you can do something about it. If surgery is not an option and you would still like to continue to do things you said above, then there is always cortisone shots that can take off the inflammation (pain) for a few months. that's what im getting in exactly 15 DAYS from now!!! :)

Go to the doctor and get it checked out. I had one surgically removed from my left wrist.

I had one in 8th grade. It didn't hurt, but it was annoying and I was kinda scared cuz I thought I had a weird disease :(. But then it went away. Then it came back this year, but ever since I started doing gym, it went away again. Docs told me that it wasn't going to harm my ability to use my wrist in sports, and the worst thing that could happen to it is that it pops and then thats when it goes away.

But definitely see a doc and see what they say. Yours might not be the same as mine.

It sounds like these things are pretty common.
I think I'll go to the docters to make shure it's a ganglia before I try to pop it. I watched how to do it on youtube.

It sounds like these things are pretty common.
I think I'll go to the docters to make shure it's a ganglia before I try to pop it. I watched how to do it on youtube.

DO NOT TRY TO BURST IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!

Speaking from years of experience of ganglia, bursting them can cause terrible damage to the tendon. When a doctor bursts a ganglion he pierces it first with a needle, in a few places, and then he puts the pressure on. This means the fluid comes out evenly.

A doctor once hit one of my ganglia with a big book, the tendon is still a mess and my skin in the area is atrophied (dead) and you can see through it. (Gross)

Go to the Doctor, do as he says. Massaging ganglia is okay and can encourage them to burst by themselves, but hitting it is a no no.

Take care of yourself.

hmm, guess I was just lucky. Massaging only relieved them for a moment before it would go back to it's normal shape.

My DD had a fairly large one in her wrist last spring. We had a Dr.'s appointment all arranged, but before we could make it, she DID pop it during practice. So far, it hasn't come back, but I know the track record for these things is that they do frequently recur.

I have had so many ganglia since I was 13 or so,most of mine have come and gone alone. One or two have been persistant, they all looked and felt the same. I have had a few corisone shots and had some aspirated. I have one on my wrist that has been there for a few years, it causes me no pain so I just ignore it.

I also have carpal tunnel syndrome and de quervains sysdrome, I wonder whether all these things are linked.

I agree with Bog----DO NOT pop it yourself. If its causing alot of pain and getting in the way of your gymnastics then let the doctor take care of it. The "surgery" only takes a short time and you'll be back training in a few days. These are pesty little things and can come back regardless of whether a doctor takes care of it or you do. I would play it on the safe side and let someone trained remove it.

A doctor once hit one of my ganglia with a big book.....

Somehow that seems like the sketchiest medical procedure i've ever heard of...and somehow i wonder if they actually learned that in medical school or not...

I too have a ganglion cyst. Had it since I was about 17 yrs old. Mine came on in the middle of the season and I had a cortisone shot to get me through the season. Worked like a charm and by the time the summer came around and I wasn't on it quite as constantly it seemed to manage itself. To this day at my ripe old age the cyst is still visible when I bend and twist the wrist, but never gives me any grief.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back