WAG Ganglion reappearing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Learning Parent GB

Proud Parent
My DD had a ganglion about 18 months ago on her wrist which mainly only caused bad pain during long handstands. So although frustrating for her beam mount at the time she was very lucky and it gradually seemed to drain and disappear on it's own.
So now she has had a bit of pain for the last couple of weeks and there is a lump on the top of her hand which I assume is a ganglion again. I've read old threads on draining and surgery etc but hopefully that is something we won't have to consider. But these days she does a lot more vaulting and tumbling and I wondered whether tiger paws or something similar would help with the pain for that? In general we are against tape and supports unless absolutely required as she doesn't want her body to become accustomed to needing them, but I just wondered if people had found them helpful in this situation.

My DD had a ganglion about 18 months ago on her wrist which mainly only caused bad pain during long handstands. So although frustrating for her beam mount at the time she was very lucky and it gradually seemed to drain and disappear on it's own.
So now she has had a bit of pain for the last couple of weeks and there is a lump on the top of her hand which I assume is a ganglion again. I've read old threads on draining and surgery etc but hopefully that is something we won't have to consider. But these days she does a lot more vaulting and tumbling and I wondered whether tiger paws or something similar would help with the pain for that? In general we are against tape and supports unless absolutely required as she doesn't want her body to become accustomed to needing them, but I just wondered if people had found them helpful in this situation.

Two thoughts, not medical advice. 1) Recurring ganglia often need to be surgically excised. 2) My kids were the last ones on their team to get tiger paws because I thought it would make their wrists weak, but their orthopedist strongly recommends them and the coaching staff will now not allow anyone training flipping vaults not to wear them. I think they do provide support and minimize stress-related injuries.

That's really interesting. I asked a physio hypothetically about wrist supports a few months ago and he was very against them, yet I do see so many gymnasts wearing them just for regular training at other gyms. I think we need to book to go back to see our regular physio to have a proper discussion if it worsens. I'm sure it is much easier to assess with an actual case in front of you.

(I also read your first point, but am sticking my fingers in my ears and going la la la ;-) )

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back