WAG geddert's conditioning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ehh, set the bar high. His goals are to develop National level gymnasts.

The level refers to where the individual is at strength wise. I assume his compulsory teams are level 3 and up. Prior to level 3 I assume he has a developmental program that uses this conditioning but in smaller numbers, such as doing 2x5 pull ups, one rope climb, etc.

Those don't correlate to JO levels; he's got his own level system for strength.
No you are incorrect. John absolutely uses this conditioning for his compulsory level kids from the bottom to the top as do most successfull region 5 gyms. The norm is around an hour of conditioning per practice.

No you are incorrect. John absolutely uses this conditioning for his compulsory level kids from the bottom to the top as do most successfull region 5 gyms. The norm is around an hour of conditioning per practice.

Right, what GT meant was that "level 1 arms" in this program could be a level 4 athlete, it doesn't mean a level 1 competitor. I doubt he has a level 1 team.

Right, what GT meant was that "level 1 arms" in this program could be a level 4 athlete, it doesn't mean a level 1 competitor. I doubt he has a level 1 team.
Ahh I see what you mean. Yes it is meant to indicate level of start to the conditioning program not gymnast.

An hour sounds decent. 25-33% of your workout time. In Coach Sommer's program, physical preparation is 50% of the time allotment. This is strength training and mobility and conditioning.

DD's team spends 25-30% of their time on conditioning type activities -- standard conditioning, circuit training, Insanity, Turbofire, Tabata and a few other things like that. They mix it up and change it throughout the year so it's always a bit different and challenging. It is hard, but helps a lot too.

p.s....the optional team does this workout...not sure about compulsories though.

I'm hoping to use parts of this with my pre-team group, they are really lagging behind on bars due to lack of strength, but will be starting off at a VERY basic level.

25-35% seems reasonable with the women. It's just hard to take time away from events. It's different with MAG.

DD works out 20 hours per week and will easily do an hour straight of conditioning, with more conditioning built into each rotation, and then 15 minutes of 'cool down' conditioning at the end of practice. It all depends on the coach's comfort level, how hard they want to push the kids, and how much each kid can do. The more conditioning, the stronger they gymnast; the stronger the gymnast, the easier it will be to pick up skills (usually, but even that can be qualified).

After reading this thread I decided to subscribe to the program. Excellent and personal customer service (I had an initial problem). It is a great program, however I assumed the videos would be individual videos of each exercise, such that you could use them to show a perfect example.

Well they are great examples, but they are in two hour long videos which are very hard to navigate to specific points on my mobile device. The program itself is very basic and refreshing in its simplicity, it's close to what I use with basic developmental levels. Personally once the kids are in the gym 10+ hours a week I like to mix it up a little more, BUT I got some great ideas from the program and love the idea of the "levels".

So I think we will use this at least a few times a week. It would be great to implement. However I would advise any devo/compulsory coaches also work on handstand development complex because I don't feel like the program really addresses it - it just shows a kid who I know to be an upper optional holding a one minute handstand...not realistic...but of course the upper and core exercises in the program will contribute to handstand stability. But it doesn't show other necessary exercises.

I already have my S&C set pretty much. I only feel the need to change things up as need be, not because it's fun. There is something to be said about doing an exercise a bit differently but generally prefer to change reps/volume, and intensity unless there is a specific weakness that needs to be addressed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back