General Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am learning back handsprings on beam and I don't know how to place my hands on the beam. Any hand positions that work?

For my grips, I am not sure what kind of wristbands to get. I hand some cheap ones before, but they were not that great lol. What kind are best?

One more thing, sometimes ono my back handsprings, my hips turn out a specific way and it throws me off. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Any answers to my questions are greatly appreciated! :)

ok for hand placement - i put one hand inside of the thumb and first finger of my other one... idk if that makes sense of not haha

yeah... i dont remember where i got my wristbands so i cant really help you with that one... sorry

and for twisting hips - i had this EXACT same problem when i started doing backhandsprings too. my coach had me switch my hands. like i was puting my right 'in' my left and now i put my left 'in' my right. it keeps you from twisting your hips. it really helped me a lot. it's kind of hard at first, but you get used to it quickly i promise. my backhandsprings were soooo much more consistant after doing that.

good luck!!

Wristbands.... try ten-0.com I think thats where mine are from.
The placement of your hands on your backhandspring........ I have no idea. I think mine are on top of each other which is like really bad but I survive.

I think what gymnaSTICKs said about twisting hips should work.

We do butterfly hands for backhandsprings on beam- you kind of have your thumbs next to each other and all your other fingers gripping the side of the beam.

My coaches were very big on having both hands straight in line on beam so that's how I do it. I know a lot of people who don't though. I prefer the first hand to be straight/not turned out though. Side by side is not acceptable technique in my book. Definitely opposite hand (to the foot you start with/step down on first) in front.

This video shows some hand positions and slows it down close up so you can see it. The girl in the video turns her back hand out a little which is fine, but not necessary:

[YOUTUBE]C0RsO0xVMnk[/YOUTUBE]

BHS hand position I suggest the most is to put one hand inside the thumb and finger of the other--so that the hand in front kinda fits into the shape of the other hand--as gymnaSTICKs mentioned. I highly discourage placing them in the "butterfuly" position as you most likely do on your handstand and back walkover for the safety issue--speaking form a person note--my hands slipped quite a few times putting my hands that way and i've seen it happen to many others as well.

As far as wristbands---check out your local athletic/sporting goods store. I suggest using the double wide wrist bands.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back