Getting over the fear of doing a double back flip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerialriver

Coach
Gymnast
I have had this question for years! All I want to be able to do right now is to be able to do a double back flip on the trampoline AT THE QUAILIFIED GYM I GO TO. I have the height and the form and I can even do one and land on my back, but I am so scared I will start flipping and won't be able to stop and will break my neck or something. I am afraid I won't be able to find the spot of where to stop and put my feet down. Anyone else have this problem? How did you get over it? I would love a coaches input! REPETE I AM DOING THIS SKILL AT AN ACTUAL GYM WITH A COACH NOT ON A HOME TRAMPOLINE UNSUPERVISED!

Aerialriver

Trust yourself and your coaches. They won't do anything that will endanger your safety.

Have confidence in yourself. Envision yourself doing it and landing on your feet. Take a deep breath and GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a qualified coach, he/she will be able to help you. Practice lots of drills- high back tucks and back tucks to your back and work on perfecting that skills first. Work some of these with your coach standing on the trampoline with you to get a feel for his/her presence on the tramp while you are jumping. When both of you are confident that you can get the double back around, have your coach step in and spot you or at least on the trampoline ready to help you out if something goes wrong. You can also have a coach or a teammate with a trampoline mat sitting next to the tramp right where you land so when you take off, they can push it into place (does that makes sense?), that way you won't end up looking like a waffle if you do fall ;).
When your coach is not touching you at all during the flip, and both of you feel you are ready, try it by yourself with someone pushing the mat in for you. It will involve a lot of trust both in your abilities as well as in those of your coach. They know what they are doing and know when you are ready for something. Be confident in yourself! Stopping mid skill and bulking is where things could go wrong. If you are going to go for it, commit from the beginning or bail out when you know you can do so safely (I'm assuming your coaches have already taught you how to fall or bail out).
Good luck!

Snap down off a block and mini-tramp into pit is the safest bet or having a harness and pulley system rigged up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back