WAG Giant half? Blind change?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
What is the difference between a blind change and a giant half? I realize this might be a very dumb question.

I don't think it's a dumb question, and I'd love to know to. I think it has to do with their hand position on the bar. But my daughter said she does a blind in her routine and I'm pretty sure it's really a giant half. So idk. Lol.

Blind change is the general term for the 1/2 turn, it can come from a back giant, stalder hand, toe hand or clear hand as the circle is finishing. They are often used interchangeably since most of the blinds we see are from a back giant.

interesting! My daughter has always done a giant half in her routine to turn around for her pak. She hits it right on top most times so not the deduction trap for her that Spenser states but I can see what he’s saying. This year she is adding a jaeger and does a blind change into that so I don’t think she will need the giant half any more.

as another tidbit for brain teasing, I was in the car when my daughter and her friend were talking and my daughter does a giant full and her friend was calling what i assumed was also a giant full a blind to pirouette or some such thing. I asked what they meant and they told me it is all about what Order and way in which you move your hands from grip to grip.

I still have a hard time picturing all this. Maybe I will try to get my daughter to explain it all to me. If she can get me to see it clearly, I will come back and let you know.

gist from article above...

three types of giants to half turn. all the same skill in the code.
1. Blind - change from front grip to reverse grip as entry into jaeger
2. Higgins roll - change from front grip to L grip. Don’t see much of this in JO I would imagine. Advanced move :)
3. Giant half - no grip change. Just a way to change direction. Spenser thinks it’s stupid

@thefellowsmom "interesting! My daughter has always done a giant half in her routine to turn around for her pak. She hits it right on top most times so not the deduction trap for her that Spenser states but I can see what he’s saying."

My daughter is doing the giant half also to turn around for her pak. Her legs come apart a lot. This cannot be good. Hope she figures out what she's doing wrong.
Thanks for all of this info. I was confused and thought the the giant half was a type of blind change, but clearly not.

Yeah my daughter definitely does a giant half based on those videos. She does it before her shootover in the level 9 routine she is training. I know for her, they have said they plan on working towards a blind to jaeger for level 10 in the future.

There is a difference between a blind and a half.. i thought it had to do with hand placement? I didn't read through the above comments.. I am sure someone else covered it. Am i wrong?

and a closer look at giant full -

This is a blind top turn out which I would also call a full pirouette. I wouldn't call it a giant full only because you can do it from a number of skills not just from a giant. But in that video of course it is a giant full haha. The poster further up seemed to suggest a blind top turn pirouette was different from a giant full. I wonder if she means doing 2 top turns together which would mean 4 hand changes instead of 2 in the blind top pirouette. But if you can't blind it is a way of getting a full pirouette in. Which is a requirement at fig. So that is interesting.

Yeah my daughter definitely does a giant half based on those videos. She does it before her shootover in the level 9 routine she is training. I know for her, they have said they plan on working towards a blind to jaeger for level 10 in the future.
A blind is much harder than a swing half which is why most start with the swing half. Hope she is getting there!

A blind is much harder than a swing half which is why most start with the swing half. Hope she is getting there!
She's really just starting to do drills, but she has plenty of time. She'll be a first year level 9 and I just meant that her coach has indicated that that is their plan for the future. At least as of right now. :)

There is a difference between a blind and a half.. i thought it had to do with hand placement? I didn't read through the above comments.. I am sure someone else covered it. Am i wrong?
No, you're right. Without noticing the hand placement, the skills looked the same to me, so I was starting to wonder if it really was two names for the same skill. Apparently not.

No, you're right. Without noticing the hand placement, the skills looked the same to me, so I was starting to wonder if it really was two names for the same skill. Apparently not.
ha ha well i still don't even know even after my daughter explained and showed me! i still think a lot of gyms call a giant half a blind and it really isn't.. so i am told.

This is a blind top turn out which I would also call a full pirouette. I wouldn't call it a giant full only because you can do it from a number of skills not just from a giant. But in that video of course it is a giant full haha. The poster further up seemed to suggest a blind top turn pirouette was different from a giant full. I wonder if she means doing 2 top turns together which would mean 4 hand changes instead of 2 in the blind top pirouette. But if you can't blind it is a way of getting a full pirouette in. Which is a requirement at fig. So that is interesting.
I am the poster from above and my daughter just tried to explain it to me and I still don’t understand. Wow! Confusing. She actually got herself all confused as well the more we talked about it. LOL!

But, I think you are right. My dd does it like in the video. She says like a blind but then keep turning all the way around. She says the second half is on her bad arm and she is going backwards?

She explained the way her friend does it as a blind and then a pirouette. Lots of hand changes. So as she comes up into the handstand her hands are one front one back and then she moves the back on to front and then does a pirouette on her good arm going forward?

And then she got all confused and told me she could only show me for sure if she had a bar to do giants on. Ha Ha...

Ok, so don’t quote me on all that. My brain hurts.o_O

A blind doesn't come up hands one front and one back, she must do some kind of swing half and then lots of hand changes in top turn. That would work for someone who can't blind. It is complicated and confusing and it does make your brain hurt thinking about it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back