WAG Giant problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mompoul

Proud Parent
My daughter has been trying to learn a giant for TWO years and it’s just not happening for her. The gym has a strap bar and she does them with ease and great form there. Today, a coach spotted her not as much on the high bar and she flew off several times. Help!!! She is sooo ready to move forward and compete level 7 (she’s already done 2 great years at 6) but she needs this skill. Any tips or advice for girls that struggle hard with this skill?

Where did she fell? In the downswing, on the bottom or in the upswing? Can she move her wrists? How does she do when the coach spots her more? Do you have a video?

She said she keeps peeling right after she hits the bottom, on the beginning of the upswing. They have had her work drops alone and it still doesn’t seem to help. I asked her what feedback the coach’s give and she said they tell her to keep her shoulders more open but she feels like she is keeping them as open as she can!

I don’t have a video. Since the shutdown, parents haven’t been in the gym as much. I’ll try to get one next week if I can.

Are some gymnasts not able to do this skill? She progresses so fast in other events, but if she can’t get this skill soon, I think she may just quit:(

Where did she fell? In the downswing, on the bottom or in the upswing? Can she move her wrists? How does she do when the coach spots her more? Do you have a video?
She said she keeps peeling right after she hits the bottom, on the beginning of the upswing. They have had her work drops alone and it still doesn’t seem to help. I asked her what feedback the coach’s give and she said they tell her to keep her shoulders more open but she feels like she is keeping them as open as she can!

I don’t have a video. Since the shutdown, parents haven’t been in the gym as much. I’ll try to get one next week if I can.

Are some gymnasts not able to do this skill? She progresses so fast in other events, but if she can’t get this skill soon, I think she may just quit:(

How are her long hang pullovers? Like in the level 5 routine? And how about baby giants? Could they try a baby giant from handstand? Or even just a long hang pullover from handstand?

If she thinks she's gonna peel, she will probably try to pull the bar because she thinks that helps her grip it harder. But that actually causes the peeling. Some gymnasts don't like the fall from handstand to hang, and they think they are gonna peel and fall. They try to re-grip the bar when they start the fall. That's why I usually ask beginner gymnasts to open their hands (ie release their fingers from the bar) when starting to fall from the handstand. That way they can't pull the bar at that point and they will naturally have good grip when they close their fingers. I know many coaches don't teach that, but I have had great success teaching it like that.

Also, it's very important to actually hang in the bottom - shoulders relaxed, head neutral, shoulder angle open.

Do they work baby giants or 3/4 giants? My daughter just learned her giant and they spent the entire year doing 3/4 giants with a spot working on shaping and going over the bar. Then they worked regular giants on straps. Then progressed to 3/4 giants by themselves on the real bar, and then finally giants with a spot and then alone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back