Parents Giants and control

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
So the coach has approached some of thr parents about L7 bars routine saying our girls will be doing giant to baby giant swing and tuck dismount.
Becausr the force of their giant isn’t being controlled for a dismount. Help me out to understand

When DD first attempted her giant layout dismount the release timing seemed hard to perfect. Sometimes she would land a lengthy distance from the bar and other times close to the bar. This was all at the previous gym, it was scary for me to watch.

She never had an issue controlling it out of a kip cast handstand. Possibly like most skills, this is a repetition issue. It would also seem that DD's swinging out of a handstand to a dismount has no little to no tap swing and generates much less power. Control is easier.

New gym HC insists Layout goes well above the high bar. The coaches seem to have well-developed timing exercises and also touch the gymnast at the desired release time. The coaches have trained DD and her teammates to all have beautiful layouts. I will say each girl achieves a different amount of height on their dismount. Maybe this varying height is attributed to how powerful each gymnast swings her giants. This could be what your DD's coach is speaking about.

Oh, the "supermanning across the gym" problem! One of our L10 guys never did solve it, so now he does a double front half out. Most gymnasts, given enough time and drills, do figure out the proper timing to do a good laid out flyaway, but it can take a while. If it's not there yet, better to keep it in the gym and keep working the drills. If you look at some men's high bar routines on Youtube, you can watch dismounts and see how they tap into the dismount swing to kill their momentum enough to do what they want to do. My son went through a superman phase a few years ago; thankfully it was brief and he got over it before meet season. His coach has the same policy about not competing wild flyaways with low releases as your coach -- dial it back to a swing flyaway and don't scare the pants off everyone.

Hmmm -- are you absolutely sure? My daughter had to do the swing flyaway at some L7 meets and I seem to remember some kind of deduction. I think her SV was OK but she got deducted for the extra swing because she had an empty swing right before the dismount?

Hmmm -- are you absolutely sure? My daughter had to do the swing flyaway at some L7 meets and I seem to remember some kind of deduction. I think her SV was OK but she got deducted for the extra swing because she had an empty swing right before the dismount?
That is what I heard deduction for extra swing. How much of a deduction?

Found it on usag it is .30 deduction max of .60 per element

As long as the swing is only forward out of the baby giant and immediate flyaway, it shouldnt be an extra swing... that would be like a tap swing-counterswing before the flyaway that gets an empty swing deduction.
Spoke to coach will be it will be an empty swing. They are trying to just avoid the momentum of the giant since they don't seem to know how to slow it down

DD had a giant flyaway release problem - both too early and too late at times. Never got injured but landing it was hit and miss. The one routine that worked for her and got her the only 9 on bars all season had a second half with a kip cast handstand, giant into another kip, cast and flyaway. No extra tap swing so no deduction. Of course putting in the extra kip meant that there was another skill to get a deduction on, but she landed that much easier.

Unless an athlete has a good cast to handstand, the cast deductions in that routine could easily count up to more than the empty swing deduction. But I bet most coaches would love to have a girl who could do two kip cast handstands in a routine even with some temporary flyaway woes!

Unless an athlete has a good cast to handstand, the cast deductions in that routine could easily count up to more than the empty swing deduction. But I bet most coaches would love to have a girl who could do two kip cast handstands in a routine even with some temporary flyaway woes!
Fortune for mine she can I guess now I know why there have been working on that skill and not layout flyaway

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back