MAG giants on parallel bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
DS's coach has told his L5 boys that he aspires to teach them giants on parallel bars during spring/summer uptraining. (He also told some parents that he doesn't want to move them up to L6 without giants on high bar.) I've seen the optionals working on this skill and it looks . . . hard. Is it kind of like the kip where it takes a long time to get the hang of it, but when they have it, it's usually good? Or is it a skill where they can learn to do it without a lot of blood/sweat/tears, but it will take a long time for the skill to look good ? Or is it really easier than it looks?

Silly me asking here - how the heck do you do giants on parallel bars? Doesn't the second of the two bars get in the way?

It all looks hard a year before they learn a skill, and it all looks easy a year after they learn a skill. Reality exists somewhere in the middle.
Silly me asking here - how the heck do you do giants on parallel bars? Doesn't the second of the two bars get in the way?
They hold onto both rails and swing down (along the length of the bars) between the bars, go through the bottom of the swing, and swing up while tipping into an inverted position. Their hands have to roll or hop on the way up while their upward momentum gives them a brief period of weightlessness.

My son is a 12 yr old level 8 has been doing them for a couple of years now. They introduced the giant when he entered the Future Stars program a few years back. This skill has been a struggle for him though. It is scary. His coach has been very patient with him. It takes time to develop. It's common for most athletes to rush the skill and to lose pressure on the bar on the way up. The chest will open and the head will come out too. There are tons of tutorials on youtube to watch for your son to get the general idea. Good luck.

Do Not, I repeat, DO NOT watch the learning of shootovers. I remember happening into the gym the summer that mine was and she missed the low bar with her hands but caught it with her chin. Not good to watch. Thank goodness for a strong coach spotting the skill correctly with his arms taking the most of the energy. And now training the level 10 release moves this summer? Not going to be anywhere close to the gym for that.

Giants for P bars is a level 7 and 10 year old future stars skill... I am not positive but I believe you are allowed help on it by a spotter...My son will be entering this realm over the summer and I was told that the giant is by far the hardest thing for him to learn.

D has done a few, with minor spot. They are tough. There is so much timing, strength and well, cognitive things that go into it. D says they are scary, but fun. I expect he might have them by next year. They are bonus at level 7, and most boys choose to do the pirouette rather than the giant.

As for the giants on HB...I would hope he wouldn't hold them at level 5 until they get them. They can take a while. Some kids get it right away, but they are definitely one of those skills that come and go. D competed 2 level 6 meets with no giants, and the rest with jsut back giants. Not many kiddos do front giants at level 6. Or they just do one or the other. They are bonus at 6.

As for the giants on HB...I would hope he wouldn't hold them at level 5 until they get them. They can take a while. Some kids get it right away, but they are definitely one of those skills that come and go. D competed 2 level 6 meets with no giants, and the rest with jsut back giants. Not many kiddos do front giants at level 6. Or they just do one or the other. They are bonus at 6.

But remember we are talking about the coach of the level 5 machine! Seriously, it's kinda crazy hearing him telling these guys I want you doing this, I want you doing that, all of you will be able to do this . . . but more times than not, it seems to be happening. He's very, very tough on them, but they would all walk over hot coals for him, and they want to stay together as a team.

I hope the boys are allowed to advance to L6 if they are able to do strong base routines plus some bonuses, but it's the coaches' call. I hear you about the giants, though, having watched my daughter's group go through the process (and do the two steps forward, three steps back, four steps forward dance). On the girls' side, it's no giants = no level 7, even though a 10.0 start value routine can be constructed without them. It will definitely be an interesting summer. I think when I'm in the gym, I'll watch the boys when they're doing everything but pbars and watch the girls when they're doing everything but unevens.

How old is your ds?

I like that you have such a positive attitude about it. I would be frustrated thinking that we might have to repeat level 5 again LOL! Does he want both giants, or just one? Hopefully he will let kiddos move on. Level 6 bonuses are tough and a lot of kiddos that i know are quite succesful at level 7 and beyond iwthout the level 6 bonuses. The only real rule our coach has is that they can't ocmpete an event at optionals unless they are doing a routine that has all required elements. Other than that, kids are advanced as they are ready.

He didn't specify, so maybe either back or front will be OK with him. DS says fronts are easier for him than backs, go figure. I'm kinda hoping he will relent and say having really good ones in straps is enough if everything else is there! DS is ten but competes as a nine year old (lucky fall birthday boy).

It will be interesting -- I don't know if the boys will do L7 or not. Of course everything will change in the next quad, but if things go the way they have been going in the past few years, the boys generally tend to stay at L6 until they have enough skills to do basic L8 routines/move to optionals.

He didn't specify, so maybe either back or front will be OK with him. DS says fronts are easier for him than backs, go figure. I'm kinda hoping he will relent and say having really good ones in straps is enough if everything else is there! DS is ten but competes as a nine year old (lucky fall birthday boy).

It will be interesting -- I don't know if the boys will do L7 or not. Of course everything will change in the next quad, but if things go the way they have been going in the past few years, the boys generally tend to stay at L6 until they have enough skills to do basic L8 routines/move to optionals.
Yes pbars giants were tough for my DS too. He needs giant giant in his routine and he struggled a lot with it did only one last meet but now got it and hopefully will compete it this Friday. He just started learning them about a year ago. And I have to mention he is not pbars kinda guy

I would say at the L6 meet last night, the majority of kids (out of 29 in the 9-10 age group) did not have giants, and of those that did, only 3-5ish had both front and back. Obviously I didn't see every routine, but some just had front or back (made me wonder why some kids find one easier vs the other as it was about 50/50!). I can't imagine making them repeat L5 and not try all the new 6 skills just due to giants! Hope that doesn't happen!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back