Off Topic Girls Only!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, this is really kind of embarrassing:eek:, but I just got my period for the first time and I don't know what to do about gymnastics. I am not comfortable using tampons but I don't want it to be obvious that I'm wearing a pad. What would you suggest? What have you girls done before you got used to tampons? I'm very confused and nervous about going back to gymnastics. I didn't go tonight because I wasn't feeling well, but I'm supposed to have gymnastics tomorrow. I'm just very confused and don't really know what to feel right now. Thank you.

It's understandable. This is a completely normal thing and your feelings are normal too. The mechanics take a little getting used to.

If you usually wear shorts, you're probably fine. There are many pads that are pretty slim and not very noticeable, certainly with shorts and probably even without. Bring some extra so you can change halfway through. Wear a leotard with a dark bottom and/or dark shorts. Even if there is a leak, it shouldn't be noticeable. If it's your first time, the flow probably won't be that heavy, but you never know so see how it goes during the day tomorrow. Try to have extra supplies on hand in a discreet case. Usually the second day of the cycle will be somewhat heavier for most, so be prepared for that.

If worst comes to worst and you're really not comfortable, this is the first time and you could miss a day. By next time you'll be more somewhat more used to dealing with it. However, I think you'll do fine.

My dd started hers last year, and it really didn't affect her that much during the first season dealing with it. The flow was not that much, and she was very irregular so it wasn't too noticable. She did use tampons and adapted to them very well. If you try it, be sure and get the Pearl, extremely slender kind; they are much more comfortable. And I second the shorts idea. If you feel like you have to sit out a meet because you are uncomfortable, then by all means, don't feel badly for doing so. The main problem we deal with now is the mood swings and the lack of energy before and during her periods. These have affected my dd this year moreso than last year. But, they can be controlled with a modified diet, including vitamin rich foods- especially foods high in vitamin B and riboflavin, proper rest, and by all means, stay away from junk foods!

I have not started my period yet, and I am alittle nervous about this, but i saw on a commericial that show tampons made for sports. { and the model was doing gymnastics! ha!}

I have not started my period yet, and I am alittle nervous about this, but i saw on a commericial that show tampons made for sports. { and the model was doing gymnastics! ha!}

Just a note on the "sports" tampons. My oldest dd has used them and doesn't like them as much. She said that the reason they are made for sports is because they hold more; thus they last longer and you don't have to change as often. But, they are larger and she prefers the smaller slender ones because they are more comfortable. If you go that route, just remember to change.

Gah I dislike those greatly. THey're...leaky.

When I started in my late teens (yeah, I was one of THOSE girls), I used those thin pads + shorts the first month, then just kind of sucked it up and got the SMALLEST tampons and applicators I could find. I think slimfits they were called?

Good luck to the OP. Most coaches will understand a Biologically Determined Bad Day, as we called those days when we were crampy.

i just started my period last week for the first time ever and i am 14.
at gymnastics i just wear shorts and thin pads...so i suggest that.
good luck :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back