WAG Giving bad news

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Judge
I just hate being a coach these days. It's the time of the year when we plan the future (summer and next fall) and we have to make a rough preliminary plan about training groups concerning next season. We have two competitive streams ("normal" and "elite") and we need to know which kids will move up to the elite stream (or move back to the normal stream from there) and which ones are doing normal. And then the most ugliest part: we need to drop some girls from pre-teams back to rec.

So I'm the pre-team coach and the situation is that with head coaches we had to make a decision that three of my girls are not competitive material and they would have really hard time next fall. Actually they are having hard time already. I love these girls, they are really nice kids, but they don't have what it takes to be a competitive gymnast at this point. Doing pre-team another year is not an option, because they have all already did it for 2-3 years and haven't improved much.

The groups are built by age and skill level. We have several groups of girls born 2004-2006 already and total of 50 successful gymnasts of those ages. We cannot "keep" those kids just because we don't want to be mean. Even the lowest group would end up having a huge difference between the best and the less potential gymnast. It would be a nightmare to the coach and also the girls.

So now I need to give the first note to the parents about what we have planned to happen next fall. Those three gymnasts will be given a change to take two rec classes a week next fall but it's still a drop from pre-team.

Sigh. I just needed to vent.

I'm sorry. While I understand that being the bearer of bad news isn't fun at all, I just wanted to reassure you that as a parent I would appreciate the honesty.

I have 1 pretty talented gymnast and 1 not so much who happens to be older than my "talented" one. My older one was in preteam this last year and we just learned that my younger one will probably compete new L4 next fall. She just completed L3. We also found out that my older daughter is not moving to the JO program at all. While she was a little sad and I was sad for her (though I did suspect this might be the case) it allows me as her parent to encourage other areas of interest she has and is very good at and frankly I can put my money into other things she may like to try. She will go to gym once a week because she likes it and wants to continue in some aspect, but is already talking about playing volleyball in the fall or maybe giving cheer a try.

Good luck!

When I first read your post, I thought, as your username suggests, gymnastics should be for everyone. I never thought there are those that can never progress to team, especially to determine that at such a young age. But as a parent, I too would like to know. There is a vast number of sports/activities available, the three families are bound to find something their children can enjoy. Though it is always hard for a parent to hear your child is not good enough. So, I don't envy your situation. But take solace in knowing they may find something better suited for their child.

As parent, I would just want you to be up front and honest about the situation. You will not avoid hurt feelings, that really stinks. Also I would be proactive, and talk with these girls and families before the rumors start flying.

It's too bad you don't have an Excel program. They could go over to Excel bronze, get a chance to compete and who knows what would happen, maybe stay in Excel or maybe move back if they start to really develop and have success later.

I see a bunch of girls at my daughter's gym really blossoming around age 9 (when they get good training), I think that's when you start to get a little glimmer of who may have what it takes to give it a go. Something just seems to click at that age developmentally?? With the new levels in our state Bronze is pretty basic (Level 3 type skills). Our gym chose not to compete bronze this year. For JO, gyms around here start competing current Level 4 or Level 5. I don't know any gyms that compete levels 2 or 3, except that the "new bronze" in Excel is more like current 3 skills. A lot of gyms here did have Excel bronze teams this year. Just as an fyi, for most Excel teams in our states, girls do not get to do their own routines and music until diamond level. Each gym has their one routine for each of the four apparatus for each level, with a few different skills (such as tumbling passes) variable based on skills of a particular gymnast.

Just my personal opinion, but an "elite" track before level 7 has always struck me as bizzare, but maybe you are making the decisions for higher level gymnasts too. Successful gymnasts born 2004-2006, doesn't that make them five to eight year olds?? I'd be curious to know if all of the girls on the national team who competed in Europe last week are from gyms that funnel itty bitties to "elite"? Does that really work that well before age 10? Seems if it did, countries like China would absolutely dominate the sport. And ALL of the US team would be from Texas. They're not. Seems perhaps there is more to it?

By any chance are these girls getting moved off team really flexible but not "powerful"? Can they do pretty walkovers, cartwheels, but you can't ever concieve of them doing a double layout on floor? Do they have the long and lean look with pretty lines? Well, if this is the case (probably not but thought I'd ask), you could ease the news a bit by putting in a comment that their dance lines are really nice, but the tumbling isn't powerful. Perhaps they would make nice dancers. No need for a double tuck in dance, but flexibility, pretty lines, elegance (which is missing even in some of the best gymasts in the US)--these make excellent qualities in dancers. A dance coach might be chomping at the bit to get their hands on them! Here's an idea...combine dance with Excel gymnastics for them to get more strength and tumbling elements ..... Possibly NIRVANA for a smart dance coach who is thinking....sure I'll take the long and lean ones with pretty lines and flexibility, and you teach them walkovers, handsprings, aerials. Just sayin...... Their years in gymnastics may yet bear fruit for them in unexpected ways....

Off topic, but I would LOVE to see some of the top talented professional dance choreographers in our community help choreograph dance into gymnastics floor routines. It would be epic. For whatever reason, though it just doesn't seem to happen. Even watching lots of NCAA gymnasts, posey posey dance elements that 7 year olds can do in dance.... They all look capable of much more artistry....

I understand the dilema. And actually if our gym is to make "cuts" my DD will probably be one of those to get cut. My DD loves gym, but I notice she doesn't pick up skills as fast as others. And sometimes I feel she might be holding the group back (along with a few others). But gymnastics is a sport and it's better to be honest and know now. I think it would be hard on the little ones who don't understand, but maybe they can have more time to do other things.

OK how about this, to the parents of these 3 girls. You and your daughters need to decide if you want to continue to pursue competitive level gymnastics, as we can neither move them to team nor do we think another year of preteam is the way to go. If all three would like to continue, we can form a practice group with these three to continue working on current and next level skills, but they should not plan to compete this year. Unfortunately due to the small size of this practice group, we will need to bill it at X rate to cover our costs, we will need a one year commitment, and they can practice during these days and times. If we do not have a group of 3, for the girls who do not want to drop to rec, we will endeavor to find an appropriate developmental program for your children with a different club. --- Frankly if these girls really love gymnastics but just aren't very polishable young, you shouldn't write them off. Nothing says persistence like being over and over rejected for team and being willing to just stay on preteam. If they're not really into it, they'll go back to rec. My daughter did three years of preteam / level 2 and was consistently rejected for team promotion three years running. She loves gymnastics. She switched to a "less competitive" program, much to her chagrin as she wanted to stay at the "tough" gym, was placed in the L3 group at age 8 and outscored half of the "tough" gym's L3 team that practices 9 hours a week compared to her 6. She is competing new L4 in the fall. She's still not very polished. And she will probably still be competing when most of the highly-selected girls have left the sport.

We did not receive great news last night either. My 6yo dd has been training L2 twice a week since June. She is one of the few L2's in her gym that regularly goes twice a week. I feel like she looks good in class compared to her peers, and she really wants to be on team. However, she is starting to get bored of doing the same things and is starting to slack off a bit in class. She feels like the back hip circle is a bit challenging (but I have video of her doing it successfully with no spot in December) and has a bit of trouble remembering her floor routine. When they presented us with summer schedules last night, we were told to ask if we were unsure which level to put our kids in so I asked the coach. Coach says to put her in L2 for the summer and then maybe L3 in the fall which would almost assuredly mean she would not be considered for the team (which competes in the Spring). We decided she's going to work very hard the next few weeks, and we will not sign her up for the summer session (starts first week of June) until mid-May.

Why doesn't your gym just open a new "advanced" class for 10 or so kids? No moving down, just here is your new group. And fill it with some other advanced rec kids if there's not enough of kids moving down. No idea what to call it, just something that is off the team but not beginning rec. Then if the parents ask just say the skills they will work on in this class that the child doesn't have.

I guess I am going to go against the grain here.

There are 3 girls who don't cut it, right?

Your Chalkbucket handle is "gymisforeveryone", right?

Well then, how about you take the team tuition of the parents of these three kids and let them (kids and/or parents) either a) figure out for themselves that "gymisnotforeveryone" or b) work their butts off until they are competing handily with the pre-selected uber-few whom you and your fellow coaches have annointed at ages 5-8.

Maybe one or all of those three will surprise you.

This should be the general policy when it comes to youth sports: participation over victory.

Gymnastics is for everyone, but competitive gymnastics is not for everyone. When I have allowed a child to continue in a group where they are not suitable, they end up quitting within the year because they can't keep up. When I have stuck to my guns and moved them sideways (not down) they have generally found gymnastics enjoyable and continue at their own pace. While leaving a group is often upsetting for the child/parent/coach, often it is the best thing for a child in the long term.

Gymnastics is for everyone, but competitive gymnastics is not for everyone. When I have allowed a child to continue in a group where they are not suitable, they end up quitting within the year because they can't keep up. When I have stuck to my guns and moved them sideways (not down) they have generally found gymnastics enjoyable and continue at their own pace. While leaving a group is often upsetting for the child/parent/coach, often it is the best thing for a child in the long term.

Yes. Gymnastics is for everyone but the right training group is key to making it a successful experience for all involved. So sorry you have to send bad news. Most parents want to know if our kid has chosen a sport that is the right fit for them. Good luck.

As a parent, I would appreciate the honesty of a coach letting me know that competitive gymnastics (or any other sport) is not a good fit for my child instead of stringing me along. But I am also realistic enough to recognize that if my child had been on pre-team for 2 or 3 years without moving "up" she might be better off in another activity. Sorry you have to be the bearer of bad news.

Hi Gymisforeveryone, I just want to say that I always appreciate your posts. As you come from a different country to most of the rest of us, you see things a little differently at times and come up with some great topics. Thanks for sharing your perspective with us.

America is a gymnastics powerhouse but most countries just do not have the resources available to train kids the way the United States does. Many many more kids participate in gymnastics in the USA than do in any other country. I live in a country that doesn't really have private teams or gyms outside of a few extremely recreational places and so there just is not a lot of choice -- for us as parents, or for coaches. I imagine that the spots on gymisforeveryone's team are limited -- not by her, but by her program. The elite track thing is also, most likely, not her decision but the way her country does things.

I'm sorry you have to give bad news gymisforeverone, it can't be easy, but hopefully the kids who really love the sport can stay involved in some way.

Would you say it's a talent issue or something else (work ethic, fear, listening, ambition) that is the reason why these kids aren't cutting it?

I am sorry, but this is exactly what is wrong with the sport. What is wrong with Rec. gymnastics?- nothing on the surface, but no one signs up for rec soccer or rec volleyball. After all, I have never seen a gym tout its rec program; it is always so and so made it into so and so college or our team got 1st at so and so meet. They want to join a team. It is one thing to do it once a week for fun, but to be put into the preteam stream and the knocked out is poor planning.This is sometimes called the reverse pyramid method or funnel method and does miss some kids who are late starters or kids who are outside the box.Better to funnel kids into different streams like AAU, X-Cel or lower level JO.
To quote J.O.-The Junior Olympic program was developed with the belief that all athletes, regardless of their potential, must have a solid foundation of basic skills in order to advance safely. The program allows the gymnast to advance at her own pace, competing at more than one level in a year, if she so chooses.

After all, I have never seen a gym tout its rec program

HAHAHA!...I worked at a gym for 8 years that had well over 2,000 rec. kids. They had no competitive team...period!

EDIT: I created this site while I worked at a rec. only gym as a rec. only coach. I created this site so people could see another point of view. Most people on this site have not seen the other side...I have...and it's a great place to be.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back