Coaches Gloves for strap bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
Thus far, I've been having my kids train strap bar on a PVC pipe around the bar. However, I'm hearing more and more coaches saying that it's better for them to wear gloves and not use a pipe. This makes sense, and I'd like to have my boys start working strap bar this way.

What sort of gloves would you reccomend for this? What's the best place to get them?

We use normal cotton black gloves and have our girls wear their wristbands underneath. It seems to be working fine.

Our kids have 'gardening' gloves (either cotton or with those little suede patches)with their usual wristbands underneath. I have seen some kids use ordinary woolly gloves too. some coaches have started trying neoprene wristbands (like wetsuit stuff) underneath to try and stop how sore their wrists can get.

I always liked the white woven garden gloves. Polypropylene gloves also work and can be found in smaller sizes. You can use socks, but then they can't get their thumb around the bar.

Really just any gardening gloves will work pretty well, avoiding any that have any kind of "traction" things on the palm. We only used gloves on strap bar after we could do the giants with the PVC pipe.

The white cotton medical gloves you can get from a chemists also work well. Wrist bands over or under. With all gloves make sure they are not wearing thin often - especially with little ones who will not notice themselves.

I'd say the thinner the better as the gymnasts still get to feel the bar - I used to use cotton gloves. Definately wear wrist bands too though!

A nice cheap alternative to this and the pipe, is scourers you use in the kitchen - we tape them with duct tape onto the bar and they move nicely around the bar (providing you don't accidentally stick them to the bar!) and they are thin enough to still feel the bar through. They do wear out quite quickly though, but they are very cheap to replace. I personally prefer gloves though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back