Go back or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am an ex gymnast. I really miss it and find myself reading on CB missing having the thrill, pride, and even pain of being a gymnast. However I am asthmatic, 5' 8", and have a commitment to dance, basket ball and track. What do u think I should do? I really just some honest opinions.

I recently restarted gymnastics after a year and a half hiatus in which I did dance. Honestly, I knew I was meant to be a gymnast and watching the YouTube video "I remember when" always caused me heart ache. I had been previously engaged in dance on a company during my time off, but when I got wind of a chance to restart gymnastics at a good gym it was a no brainer. My point is that if gymnastics is something that calls to you more than your other engagements then it could be worth another try.

I think it mainly depends on your other commitments, of which you have a lot! Would you really be able to fit it in with everything else? Or would you be willing to give up something else? Would you be going back to do USAG competition, or Excel or Rec? I understand about missing it, I only did rec gymnastics, but it got into my system like nothing else and it never goes away.

It seems like you've got enough on your plate to keep you busy...if you miss it, you might want to try some coaching...

I think it depends on how willing you are to give up another sport for gymnastics. It also depends on your age, and how long you've been out. I could tell from your post that you really miss it and want to do it again, and more than just coaching.

I have been out for a little over 6 months. I am 13 and would go back to usag competition. This is however one of my problems I hate beam and don't really care for doing routines. I really love to work hard on new skills, but competitions make me nervous and I don't do we'll a lot. My coach was amazed at how quickly I learned my level 4 bar routine. He said it was the quickest he had ever seen anybody learn it. My coaches recognized how hard I worked and appreciated it. I placed 3rd all around in my first meet ever! It was a huge meet. They were ready to move me to level 5 at this point, but I did not have my high bar kip or my second bhs. 3 meets later I moved to level five. I did terrible in level 5. I placed 24 out of 26 in one meet. I was humiliated. Please if you can give me any more suggestions from this I would appreciate it very much!

Humiliation is an important part of perseverence (and life).
All competitive gymnasts experice humiliation and dissapointments.

It make success that much more sweet!

I did terrible in level 5. I placed 24 out of 26 in one meet. I was humiliated.

My DD has come last or 2nd-to-last or 3rd-to-last in just about every competition this season. I think it can be disappointing but it doesn't have to be humiliating. Somebody always has to be last in every competition. It doesn't mean they're no good. Personally I think every gymnast who can do those skills is a winner. It isn't like soccer, for example, where nearly everyone can kick a ball, even if they aren't great at it. With gymnastics, most of the population can't do any of that stuff. DD will be repeating the level next year and will hopefully do better then. If you love it then you persevere, your aim is to keep improving your skills.

It sounds like you're a quick learner, maybe you just needed more time to practice for level 5 then you did in level 4 since the skills are harder in 5. I think you should go back! Try doing rec first and see if you like it enough to compete again:)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I went back to my first gym ever at 13 going on 14 a month a weeks later. I did rec for one session with 7-8 year olds. Now I'm on Pre-Team with 6-12 year olds and I'm 14. Its worth it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

If you can't commit to team and can't be in rec classes you could always go to open gym. And option for gymnasts that can't commit to team at my gym is a part time coaching job, teaching the baby classes, 3-6 years olds. And then the coaches are free to use the gym whenever they like.

It is the thought of competing that makes me nervous. I don't mind practice. Really I love practice. I don't like being put under pressure to do something though.

Are interested in tumbling classes? Or would you miss the other events too much? Is this competition fear something that you can get over with, with time?

Are interested in tumbling classes? Or would you miss the other events too much? Is this competition fear something that you can get over with, with time?

Well my two fav events were bars and vault. I just got really nervous. I could do the routines pretty well in practice but in comp it is just like I froze up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back