Parents Goals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dd had to write down some goals for beam yesterday and one of them was to do a bhs layout stepout on the low beam by July 15 th, well,guess what?
She did it yesterday.She was so happy.
Another goal is to connect a switch leap switch side on beam.
She can do the switch leaps and is getting more consistent on making her switch sides on high beam.Just started to practice switch sides on beam a couple of weeks ago.

Way to go!! :D

I really like the idea of writing down her goals. I'm gonna try this with Pixie. It'll be interesting to see what an 8 yo will have as gymnastics goals.

Congrats to your dd on already achieving one of her goals - that is awesome !!! I like the idea of them setting their own goals for themselves:)

I love that they are goal setting, some kids work really well with this as it is so motivating. Of course now she is acheiving her goals, she have to make up some new ones. SOunds like she'll have a great summer of training.

Too cool - way to go!

They write down goals at my dd's gym too, and that acro series is one of hers as well :) - she just managed to do it on the floor beam yesterday, it is a cool looking series - and of course just scary enough looking to make mom gasp every single time :p - now I know why the higher level athletes parents are never around, LOL.

I feel that goals no matter how small or large are one of life's most important tasks. I, as an adult, make goals each and every day. I started daily goals with my DD when she turned 11years. Every day on the way to the gym, she tells me what she wants to accomplish. I tell her it does not matter what the goal is as long as she attempts it. It can be something as small as getting along with a teammate or doing something nice for a teammate that she has not been getting along with. It seems to work with every aspect of life for her whether it is a skill or a social problem. We have found that instead of goofing off between rotations, my DD has that goal in her head and seems to concentrate on that rather than the goofing off. Even though the gym is not aware of our daily goal setting, I get reports from them that her work ethic has really graduated to that of a serious gymnast. If you do this one simple thing with your gymnast every day, you will see remarkable progress. Also, it gives us parents something positive to talk with our gymnast about. Instead of asking what they did and did not do at gym that day, they come home and announce with pride that they met their goals for that day.

Too cool - way to go!

They write down goals at my dd's gym too, and that acro series is one of hers as well :) - she just managed to do it on the floor beam yesterday, it is a cool looking series - and of course just scary enough looking to make mom gasp every single time :p - now I know why the higher level athletes parents are never around, LOL.

Yeah,sometimes it is better not to watch.

Setting goals is good in every aspect of live.I think we as adults set goals every day without even being aware of that.
I think for my daughter it is more effective when the coaches ask her to set goals (in gymnastics).She takes it more serious.But I also remind her to get along with everybody and tell her to try her best.
She is also 11 years old and I think at this age is more able to follow through with her goals.I know they have done it before when she was ypunger but she is working especially hard right now.

I love that they are goal setting, some kids work really well with this as it is so motivating. Of course now she is acheiving her goals, she have to make up some new ones. SOunds like she'll have a great summer of training.

Thanks, I like when they get their skills early so they have time to work on them.You know how it is.One day they can do them and another they loose it again.
Ofcourse I hope that won't happen.

My DD also has a journal to keep her goals in. We just started this when she moved to L4. She has to have 1 goal per event. This has really helped her to focus more and already she has completed her beam goal. (strait handstand for 2 seconds) and her bars goal (that darned Front Hip Circle) she was so excited to checkmark those as competed and add new goals! Now on to the Kip on bars and cartwheel on beam.

Awesome! Congrats to her! Beth had to do goals for the year--but they didn't specifically list a "get by" date.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back