Going back to gymnastics after 3 years...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnast0928

I have a 13 year old daughter that has had two operations on her elbow from competitive gymnastics. She started gymnastics when she was 4, and stopped at 10. She was level 6, and was very good. She wants to go back to gymnastics, but I don’t know if she will catch up. What are your suggestions? It has been 3 years.

I’d let her try if her coaches are on board. She’s got a good while to ease back in to training before competition season next year, so it might work out perfectly.

I’d let her try if her coaches are on board. She’s got a good while to ease back in to training before competition season next year, so it might work out perfectly.
Do you recommend she goes to Woodward gymnastics camp?

Do you recommend she goes to Woodward gymnastics camp?

At level 6? ..... eh.

Here's the thing with camps like woodward:

Level 8 and below (especially for older kids) tend to end up all grouped together in the lowest group. That lowest group usually has a GIGANTIC spread in terms of skill level. My opinion -- as somebody who has gone to woodward many years as a camper, a visiting coach, and a staff member -- is that if you're below level 8, it's sort of a coin flip as to whether it will be worthwhile in terms of training benefits.

Now having said that, it's always an absolute blast no matter what your age and level are. And if you're willing to spend $1200 or whatever the current weekly price is just for the camp experience, then by all means go for it. But if you're looking for training benefit for your money, then.... the bang-to-buck ratio increases dramatically after level 8.

I have a 13 year old daughter that has had two operations on her elbow from competitive gymnastics. She started gymnastics when she was 4, and stopped at 10. She was level 6, and was very good. She wants to go back to gymnastics, but I don’t know if she will catch up. What are your suggestions? It has been 3 years.
You maybe should go over some skills with her at home and then once she looks good enough you maybe should take her to sign up.

She should try some skills that she needs to learn or maybe go to open gym and learn some.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back