Going to gym when you don't feel good??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
Well, today i don't really feel good...i don't think i am sick or anything, i just have a cold and i am kinda tired. I am going to gym, but i know that i probably won't give 100 percent effort on everything...i feel like i am going to fall asleep during splits or something! haha. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to push through when you feel like this so you still give everything you've got into your gymnastics. Has anyone else ever gone to gym feeling like this? Any advice is appriciated :)

I do that a lot .My gym allmost loves it just beacuse it makes their girls stronger lolzzzz !But i usally just take an aleave or some cold thingy an go :).

I know how you feel!! I hate skipping gym, so i usually go when I'm tired, but I'm always worried I'll hurt myself so I ask my coach if I can not do the scary stuff...like no tumbling, no vault, and when the rest of my group does those things I condition. But at the same time if you know you won't have a chance to caTCH up on your sleep before your next practice it might be worth staying ome today...having two practices that aren't at your best is probably equal to missing one...hope you feel better!

As a coach, I'd really rather my gymnasts DIDN'T come in when theyre sick.

Sharing isn't always caring! Last winter half the team, all the coaches, and at least 1/3 the rec kids caught a really nasty bug because a girl didn't want to miss.

If your head can't be all there, its not safe or productive for a gymnast OR her class, depending on how out of it she is, in addition to the contagion factor. It's not like missing a catch in baseball...missing the beam on higher level skills is a pretty big deal.

I know some coaches are of the opinion that you should work through it if at all possible -- but I'm not one of those coaches.

There's nothing wrong with taking a day off once in awhile, and if you're not feeling up to it, you should stay home. The rest and recooperation will benefit you a lot more than the evening of half-hearted practice.

I agree. I think it is actually totally rude when a girl decides to come to gym or even worse when her parents make her when she is ill. I really don't want to catch other peoples diseases! I have a weaker immune system and if someone just feels a little ill with something for a few days, I get ill for several days and cannot even function. I really don't think that is too fair. If it is that big of a deal to you, ask your coach if you can make up the class, even at a lower level. It is bad enough when people come to work sick, but at least they are trying to keep supporting their family, doing something optional where you have the chance of infecting people is just selfish and rude.

As a parent I hate when a gymnast is sick and she and her parents decideds to push through a practice. It almost always means every gymnast and coach in the place is going to be sick before the end of the week. When my DD isn't feeling good I keep her home no matter how much she wants to go to practice. Missing a practice or two because your sick isn't the end of the world and really won't make a difference in the long run so when your sick please don't share and stay home.

i agree! stay home! i hate it when sick people come to the gym, because it's so easy to catch something when you're all practicing on the same equipment. no one else wants to get sick! you can always make up another time.

As a parent I hate when a gymnast is sick and she and her parents decideds to push through a practice. It almost always means every gymnast and coach in the place is going to be sick before the end of the week. When my DD isn't feeling good I keep her home no matter how much she wants to go to practice. Missing a practice or two because your sick isn't the end of the world and really won't make a difference in the long run so when your sick please don't share and stay home.

Oh thank you so much for validating this.

My favorite, as a coach, are the parents who send their kids to gym sick anyway, then demand to know why their (nauseated, listless, feverish, glassy-eyed) child is doing poorly, THEN get upset when 2 days later Favorite Coach isn't there.

Sometimes I think we're all crazy. :D

Well, i did go to gym yestarday, but while i was getting ready for gym at home, i forgot about not feeling well, then halfway through practice i remembered that I wasn't feeling well earlier, and i felt fine :) I had a pretty productive practice yestarday too. I still have a cold today, so i guess a cold was all it was.

I also do not like when other parents bring their kids when they are sick, especially when they know they have a fever and everything. We have sibilings on DD's team, and if one gets sent home sick, the parent just has them sit or lie down in the gym. Even if they have thrown up. It really makes the other parents mad, and I am hoping owner makes a better policy this year.

I also do not like when other parents bring their kids when they are sick, especially when they know they have a fever and everything. We have sibilings on DD's team, and if one gets sent home sick, the parent just has them sit or lie down in the gym. Even if they have thrown up. It really makes the other parents mad, and I am hoping owner makes a better policy this year.

I agree there is nothing worse than dealing with a sick kid in the viewing area Heck that is where the gymnasts eat snack so you know all the germs they just spewed all over the place are going to be on the snacks. EWWW.

My dd brings in bleach wipes and I tell her to wipe down the table before she eats. I've seen parents change diapers on the tables because they are too lazy to go to the changing tables in the bathrooms YUCK

We have one girl at our gym who recently quit who would seem to have some sort of illness ALL THE TIME! (she is a HUGE drama queen....she is 16). She claims that her mom will NOT come pick her up because she thinks that the girl is exaggerating (go figure!) so the girl lays down on a mat in the gym and gets a sting mat and uses it as a blanket! The times that she really was sick...to think that i fall on my face on those mats!!

If I have a slight head cold or am feeling tired, I go anyway. If I have been feeling quite tired for several days and/or have something big the next day, I take the day off to give my body a rest. Last week, I had a problem with my contacts and (although I took them out) I could not focus my eyes correctly. By the end of the day, I was feeling better, but I had a huge headache and I was scared that my depth perception would be a problem on beam and bars! So I called in sick. If you feel that it would be dangerous to go, DON'T.

Yeah sometimes when I just have a little cold and I have like a runny nose and I go to gym I don't feel it while i'm at gym. And my runny nose always goes away. But then I feel worse the next day. So staying home is better I hate when people come to gym and there sick and the cough and sneeze all day I always tell them to stay away from me because I don't want to get sick :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back