Parents Good food containers for the car

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CuriousCate

Proud Parent
Hey smart parents! We have just started carpooling with a few other kids which makes our drive home a lot longer on the days we drive. I'd like to bring the girls healthy dinner in the car and am looking for some good, leak proof and eco conscious containers. We have a few small kids thermoses, but they have pretty narrow openings and can definitely be a little tougher without a table to place it on. I'm hoping for something with a wider base and mouth, dishwasher safe, maybe metal? Any ideas? Thanks!

We use thermoses made by simple modern, the opening is pretty wide and they come in lots of different size options. You can find them on amazon.

We have ones similar to the link below. I bought them more than 10 years ago and still use them. They have gone through the dishwashers more than a few times by accident and they still work fine but I believe that all of the stainless steel containers have a "no dishwasher" warning.

We have ones similar to the link below. I bought them more than 10 years ago and still use them. They have gone through the dishwashers more than a few times by accident and they still work fine but I believe that all of the stainless steel containers have a "no dishwasher" warning.

Thanks for the tip- just ordered! I bring DD dinner in the car every night, soon to transition to lunch in the car for the summer schedule. I usually just put stuff in Tupperware bought from the grocery store.

Thanks for the tip- just ordered! I bring DD dinner in the car every night, soon to transition to lunch in the car for the summer schedule. I usually just put stuff in Tupperware bought from the grocery store.
One recommendation would be to pour boiling (or at least really hot water) in the thermos for a couple of minutes while you are heating up the food. That way, the thermos will already be "hot" and it will keep the heat longer. Same with ice if you are using it for cold food.

The boiling water really makes a difference. I let it sit in the thermos 10 minutes. My daughter's 2 favorite meals in a thermos, that you wouldn't think of as a thermos meal are burritos and turkey burgers. For the burritos I put black beans and chicken in the thermos and then pack a whole wheat tortilla in a baggie and then put guacamole and lettuce in another baggie and pack big bowl for assembly in the car or a paper plate for school or gym. I cut the turkey burger in half and put it in the thermos and bring/send the bun and toppings on the side. She was really tired of pasta and soup, so I had to get creative.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back