Good luck needed for teammates!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

msl529

This weekend, our Compulsories will attend their last meet before they go to States in Dec. As I have mentioned before, dd's HC said that he will only take those Compulsory girls who have scored "as near to a 35 as possible" at a couple of meets (even though the 'eligibility' score here in FL is lower than that).

Thank the Lord, dd has met her coach's requirement for L6, but a few of her teammates (on L4-L6) have not, and need to score well this weekend. So please join me in wishing them all the best!

Plus, a little L4 broke her arm last nite at gym (fell off the vault springboard & snapped her wrist) and most likely needed surgery to fix it. So a nice dose of "everyone stay safe and well" would also be great right about now! We have had a few injuries lately at the gym (all just freak accidents, no over-use ones), and it would be great to put a stop to the pattern, NOW! :cool: Thanks!

Sending lots of good karma that way.

Hope they all get what they need to get to states, but that is a tough number.

To bad about that little level 4, no fun at all.

Sending Happy Thoughts your way.

We will be thinking of the girls who still need to score to go to States.

I will pray for the L4 that broke her arm. that must have been scary for all. :(

Sending lots of good karma that way.

Hope they all get what they need to get to states, but that is a tough number.

To bad about that little level 4, no fun at all.
Thanks, bog. Yes it is a tough number, and a 35AA is much tougher in L6 than it is in L4! So it gets harder and harder for them to 'qualify' as they go up in the levels! But HC feels he has a gym name/reputation to represent, and also wants the girls to attend States w/ some level of confidence.

Sending Happy Thoughts your way.

We will be thinking of the girls who still need to score to go to States.

I will pray for the L4 that broke her arm. that must have been scary for all. :(
Thank you. We carpool w/ this little gymmie, so dd really feels badly for her right now. Not only that, but dd also broke her arm 6 years ago, almost to the day (this girl broke it yesterday, my dd broke hers on Halloween) and w/ similar circumstances (young age, needing surgery), so she is REALLY feeling sympathetic for this little girl!

Good luck for your daughter's teammates. I think if they qualify for states they should be able to go. It is a reward for working hard all year. I hope everyone does well at the meet and gets to go to states.

Here's to a fun and healthy weekend!

Lots of well wishes and good lucks coming from this way as well!!!

My DD has her first L6 meet next weekend after being off for 2 1/2 because of a broken collarbone... (she's only been back at practice for 3 weeks - yikes)....

Hopefully the L4 with the broken wrist will heal quickly... younger bones knit faster than older ones, that's for sure!

Good luck again to all!

-Lynn

Lots of well wishes and good lucks coming from this way as well!!!

My DD has her first L6 meet next weekend after being off for 2 1/2 because of a broken collarbone... (she's only been back at practice for 3 weeks - yikes)....

Hopefully the L4 with the broken wrist will heal quickly... younger bones knit faster than older ones, that's for sure!

Good luck again to all!

-Lynn
Thank you! And I wish your dd lots of good luck for her 1st L6 Meet next weekend! Is she excited?

Good luck to all your dd's teammates - and we're sending heal fast vibes to the little level 4 as well. Wow - I can't believe your compolsory season is almost done already - goes fast doesn't it.

Good luck for your daughter's teammates. I think if they qualify for states they should be able to go. It is a reward for working hard all year. I hope everyone does well at the meet and gets to go to states.

Here's to a fun and healthy weekend!
Thanks! I know what you mean about States. I would be quite a bit more ticked had dd not gotten her 'good enough' score yet....I guess all I can say is, every gym handles things differently, and for different reasons...

However, it is STILL easier here at our gym in FL than it would be if dd were at her old gym in CA. They can only qualify at one designated meet ("Zone Championships") w/ (basically) a 35 or better. So if the gymmie did well at other meets, but has a bad day at Zones, OH WELL! I think that's a lot harder, and let me tell you, the nerves/crowd-feel at Zones were much worse than the feeling at States! You could have cut the tension w/ a knife at Zones....whereas everyone at States was (for the most part) just happy to be there!

Good luck to all your dd's teammates - and we're sending heal fast vibes to the little level 4 as well. Wow - I can't believe your compolsory season is almost done already - goes fast doesn't it.
Thanks! Our season DID go by quickly, started end of Sept, & is over (except for States) end of Nov.!

I'd be kinda bummed right now if dd weren't planning to do Prep-Opt (beginning in January)! I'm so glad she gets a chance to do some more fun meets then!

Lots of good wishes coming your way for dd's teammates who need a good score. I have to say I don't agree either with imposing another score on girls that have already qualified to states. Maybe the coach feels it keeps them motivated, but it may only just add pressure.

Also liberal sprinking of "get better fast" fairy dust for the little L4. Hope this doesn't affect her love of the sport.

Good luck to your dd's team mates. I hope they all make it. I too think it's kind of stinky to refuse to take kids who have qualified. Upholding the gym's reputation by leaving home some team members rubs me wrong. If they made the gym's cut to be on team and compete all season and qualify, I think they should go.

And good luck to the little girl with the broken arm. Hopefully, she'll bounce back quickly.

If they made the gym's cut to be on team and compete all season and qualify, I think they should go.

I hear ya. In defense of the gym, we had a big change of coaches (and a new HC) mid-Summer. Old HC moved everyone up (and I mean everyone, regardless of if they were ready or not, and quite a few were NOT) in May, then abruptly left the gym in July. New HC stepped in & has a different philosophy (& many years experience), and it has been a challenge for him to implement his ways. He's also been a big-time Judge for a looooong time, so you can see why he wants them to have the ability to perform fairly well at their level...

I actually really like him. Believe it or not, he is NOT into pushing the girls so hard that they over-work & get injured or burned-out. DD is allowed to miss gym as needed, for school or social or whatever. But he does care that they are assured they will do well at meets (this does not mean WIN, just be able to do the routines as they were meant to be done). You should also know that S. FL has many 'unique' parents. Let's just say they beleive it's everyone ELSE'S fault if their little princess does not do well. So the HC has to make sure they are ready to compete and do fairly well...IMO, he gets 'cornered' a lot...., LOL!

Anyway, like I said, different philosophies.... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sending quick healing dust to the L 4 girl.DO feel sorry for the one who have not made the high enough score yet,sounds like a pretty stressful meet for them.Sending Good Luck Dust to the whole team this weekand!!!!

Good luck to DD's teammates and I hope the Level 4 gets well quickly!!!! I can't believe your season is almost over!! Our's hasn't really begun yet--we start in January and our States is in May! We got a while to go still!!!!

Our old gym also imposed the 35 score while the state qualifing score was 32. Their reasoning was that states was special and if the qualifing score is too easy to get then states is no longer special. A freind of mine dd was competing L4 last year and her dd scored a 34.88 and she was sitting next to a family who the whole time during the meet kept talking about the 32 score "if dd can just get a 32 she will qualify for states". The family next to them dd did get a 32 and they were all excited. My friends dd was crying because she didn't get to go.

Our old gym also imposed the 35 score while the state qualifing score was 32. Their reasoning was that states was special and if the qualifing score is too easy to get then states is no longer special. A freind of mine dd was competing L4 last year and her dd scored a 34.88 and she was sitting next to a family who the whole time during the meet kept talking about the 32 score "if dd can just get a 32 she will qualify for states". The family next to them dd did get a 32 and they were all excited. My friends dd was crying because she didn't get to go.
Bummer for them! I guess there is merit to when the individual State's USAG chapter imposes a higher, more difficult score, and has one qualifying meet. It at least eliminates the factor you mentioned above. Nor Cal has a tough qualifying score (35), and even w/ that, L5 States every year is a huge, 2-day meet (L6 is smaller, I think. IMO their qual. score should be a bit lower than L5's qual. score). I guess they need to do this, otherwise, if the score were say, 32, the host gym would have a humongous meet on their hands! Each State's qual. score is probably due, in part, to the number of gymnasts competing at any given level within that State.

We are sending good luck and Healthy Gymnast fairies to you!

I can understand the States Frustration, we are in a state where the L7 State score moved 2 whole points higher last year.. DD missed it by .15, a lot of gymnasts had to go out of state to get their state score. Kinda misses the point imo...

Good luck!

Sending you good luck to the Sunshine state from the Garden State! So sorry for your little L4 gymmie...how upset she must be.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back