Good luck to test event gymnasts!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Wishing good luck to all the teams and individual gymnasts participating in the the Olympic test event this week, trying to secure a spot! I'm pulling for Ana Sofia Gomez-Porras of Guamtemala, was so impressed with what I saw of her at Pan Ams. And I think she has a shot if she hits!

From me too. I so hope the Canadian teams can make it to the O's with a full team. Ana Sofia is a beautiful gymnast, it wouldn't be right for WAG's like her not to be there. Hoping I can find a channel to watch tomorrow. sport tv from Brazil might have something, crossing my fingers.

Olympics MAG team qualified:
1.GBR 358.227
2.FRA 350.659
3.ESP 347.292
4.ITA 346.334
Teams that did not:/
5.CAN 345.892
6.BRA 345.152
7.PUR 340.092
8.BLR 335.824

Sadly Canada didn't make it.

Bummer about the Canadians and Brasilians... soo close! Seems like there should be some special rule to allow a team like Brasil in. Instead we have FOUR more European teams and NO teams from Central or South America. And with a Brasilian team that is so competitive(only a few tenths out)!

Bummer about the Canadians and Brasilians... soo close! Seems like there should be some special rule to allow a team like Brasil in. Instead we have FOUR more European teams and NO teams from Central or South America. And with a Brasilian team that is so competitive(only a few tenths out)!

How true, it really is a shame that the O's isn't a true global mix. As you say Brazil was so close.

I am so excited for tomorrow, have a way too busy day to follow the whole day, but hopefully I get to check the results now and then. Those Canuck WAG's need to bring their A game. The British MAG were so strong today, hope they can do the same thing at the O's.

So sad for Canadian men!
Very excited for finals on thurs and fri!
Amazing result for GB men. That would have put them in 4th in Tokyo!

Seems like there should be some special rule to allow a team like Brasil in. Instead we have FOUR more European teams and NO teams from Central or South America. And with a Brasilian team that is so competitive(only a few tenths out)!

There are rules to make sure it is global representation. We would have places for Team Canada and Brasil if we did not allow so many individuals who have no chance at a medal and can barely crack a 14.

According to Gymnasticscoaching.com the Canadian women brought it!! Now to wait for the rest of the field to see where we end up.

So disappointed for the men, but waking up to the news that the women had done so well partially made up for it. Sounds like Moors had an awesome Senior debut!

There are rules to make sure it is global representation. We would have places for Team Canada and Brasil if we did not allow so many individuals who have no chance at a medal and can barely crack a 14.

Isn't there something To be said for participation, rather than winning? Sport-specific world championships are all about going out there and winning. It would be sad if the Olympics COMPLETELY abandoned the ideals of promoting friendship and peace across the globe through inclusion in sport. I am gutted for the Canadian men, but I think that it actually is important to make sure there is a place, once every four years, for some of the individuals who have worked and trained just as hard to go out an compete on a big stage. Just for once, they will have the media coverage, recognition and acclaim... Hopefully some of these athletes use this acclaim for the good of their sport in their own countries when the games are over.
As a secondary benefit, it helps to encourage the sport in locations beyond WOGA, AOGA, Oakville and Heathrow. I would love to see an increase in participation, effective clubs and coaching in some new countries as a result of 2012. This would be a legacy, and have more lasting impact than the Canadian or Brazilian men competing in one more international competition.

Not only are Canada's WAG going, but for the first time in Ter's they have qualified a full team. I am overjoyed, this is a great day. Even better news is that we have have strong team with quite a few more like them training in Canada. Choosing the team will be very interesting. Now let's hope they choose the best for the team this time and not merely the ones who have amassed the most points.

Got back from test even yesterday - I loved it! I went on Thurs and Fri for apparatus Finals. Not only were the Brits amazing, I was really impressed with a lot of gymnasts I wasn't familiar with or hadn't been that taken with in previous years. The Canadian women really impressed, as did Hypolito of Brazil (usually not a fan, but her vaults were pretty darn good!)

The Chinese women and Japanese men weren't on such great form, and Grishina of Russia (love her) looked tired but you can bet your bottom dollar they will be on top form by the summer!

Kieran Behan of Ireland was my favourite of the competition - If you don't know his story, look it up! in short he was in a wheelchair from a young age and told he wouldn't walk again, let alone do gym. Then having defied the odds and becoming a gymnast, had a freak accident in the gym which put him back in the wheelchair. Again, he came back to gym and this week qualified as an individual for the olympics and for the floor final which was on Thursday. He is a really elegant gymnast! One to watch out for!

The atmosphere in the arena, particularly on Friday was buzzing, especially by the time it came to the high bar final and Kristian Thomas pulled out that winning routine! There were Mexican waves going around the arena, and guess what?! The Brits actually sang the national anthem!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back